IGNORED

79 280zx windshield trim removal

mayolives

1979 280ZX coupe

I'm having a new windshield installed next week and I need to properly remove the trim before my glass man arrives.  I can't find a thing in my FSM.  Section BF-16 describes the glass part but says "remove the wipers, front pillar garnishes and windshield garnish".  It goes on to say" refer to roof trimming for removal".  Thus far and have not located anywhere in my FSM that deals with roof trimming.  Any ideas where this can be found in FSM.  Can anyone describe how I can remome the metal trim without damaging it?  

I don't know much about it, but I do remember painfully prying out my metal trim to try to get under the edge of the rubber seal to seal a leak (it didn't work).  Then realizing later, after reading various accounts, that you're supposed to cut the old seal out and the trim comes with it.

In other words, the metal trim is only meant to be installed with new rubber.  The system is not designed for non-destructive disassembly.

So again I believe I've answered my own questions. No thanks to my FSM.  I good search here on the site have explained what I need to do.  Apparently there are screws under the door seals on the "A" pillar that need to be remived in order to remove the windshield trim. Thanks again to Classiczcars site. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zed Head said:

I don't know much about it, but I do remember painfully prying out my metal trim to try to get under the edge of the rubber seal to seal a leak (it didn't work).  Then realizing later, after reading various accounts, that you're supposed to cut the old seal out and the trim comes with it.

In other words, the metal trim is only meant to be installed with new rubber.  The system is not designed for non-destructive disassembly.

Zed Head,  Just in case of "distructive disassembly", I have a complete set of good trim at the ready. 

19 hours ago, mayolives said:

The system is not designed for non-destructive disassembly.

I see this a bit late.. but i have done this without destroying anything.. i believe..

See my restore of a 1979 280zx2+2 slick roof.. and yes you start in the doors removing stuff to remove the front glass trim..

Don't forget these parts you need for the new glass... see comment 100 on above mentioned topic.

image.png

I was incorrect.  Apparently Nissan says the molding is removable separately.  I must have seen comments from the internet instead.  I'm sure it's much easier with newer still flexible rubber.

Here's 1978.  "Be careful not to deform the molding".  They knew.

image.png

6 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I was incorrect.  Apparently Nissan says the molding is removable separately.  I must have seen comments from the internet instead.  I'm sure it's much easier with newer still flexible rubber.

Here's 1978.  "Be careful not to deform the molding".  They knew.

image.png

Zed Head, My FSM page BF23 is completly different than the one you posted above. It only refers to interior trim and no mention of removing the windshield trim. I'm glad you found this info in your FSM. I probably would have had a problem with this new advice. 

Eèèhhmm..  A 280z and a 280zx are completely different..  A 280z has a rubber all around the windshield like a 240z has.. A 280zx windshield glass is glued to the car..

It's much modern way to place the glass, it's part of the construction now.

In picture BF694B You see the things you need.. As these parts are no longer available you can use the today's much better sealant. What you need to save from the old window are the parts i send you a picture of in #5 .. They hold the chrome strips on theire place. If they are broken too you can use some sealant there as well but when you need to replace such windshield it's a pain in the **** to replace..

image.png