IGNORED

General maintenance + products in 2023 (1971 240Z)

GoldAir

Hi all... looking for a few basic tips and watch outs for general maintenance and products to use on my '71 240Z. Namely:

• Oil (Original engine, I've seen mention of a few different options)
  • Cleaning products/wax/microfibers etc (old paint)
  • General liquids (radiator etc, anything to watch out for?)
  • Anything else you may think of

This is my first Z and I know a lot of the information has been amassed over the last 20-30 years on forums and websites, so just want to make sure I'm as up-to-date as I can be.

Here are a couple of good products for you - a high zinc oil and great transmission fluid for our old gearboxes. The old paint might benefit from a good clay bar treatment to get rid of old wax, dirt and other buildup, followed by a non-wax polish such as AutoMagic Awesome Gloss, topped off by the ceramic coat or wax of your choice. The clay bar process might leave a few swirl marks so the Awesome Gloss is a way to polish them out.

IMG_20230227_131042024.jpg

SAM_1843.JPG

IMG_20231026_115140999.jpg

• Like 4

Here's the link to the car.  Looks like brakes have been addressed, including booster.  You might think about double-checking the stuff that's been worked on, like the heads.  Head bolts, valve lash, etc.  Not clear how many miles were put on it after the work, or the quality of the work, or what shape the car was in in 2018.  You never know.  I don't recognize the name of the shop.  Not criticizing, just saying better safe than sorry.

And, inexpensive stuff that might be on last legs, like clutch master and slave cylinders are worth considering.

Good luck, looks like a nice one.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-274/

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips... much appreciated. I'm going to dive in and give it some love.

There's a shop in Pasadena (Miller's Sports and Imports) owned by a guy called Skip that works only on Datsuns. Planning to swing by there next week.

• Like 3