IGNORED

Seat Track Compatibility

ArcticFoxCJ

Hey all,

So what I've been learning, the hard way, is that the seat tracks for the various S30 models are not the same.  I've reupholstered the seats for my '77 (late production) and the seat rails do not match the 240/260 type (Where they have studs that go straight down) nor do they match the earlier production 280Z.  

This matters because when I got my project car it was missing the passenger seat entirely.  I bought a seat form a 260Z before I  realized the difference.

The type I need seem to be rarer than hens' teeth with no luck on eBay.  But today I noticed that a set being sold from an S130 (280ZX) do look very much like mine.  Does anyone have experience trying to interchange these?

Edited by ArcticFoxCJ

There are at least three different varieties of the seat tracks over the years. The final version (what you have) was used in 77-78. The easiest way to notice the difference at quick glance (for me anyway) is the angled front tabs. 

Here's a pic where you can see the angled tabs. This is what you need for your 77:
77-78.jpg

As for the ZX seat tracks, I have no idea if they are the same. Can you post a couple pics of the ZX rails?

• Agree 1

Yeah that's exactly what I've observed as well.  Here's a picture of the ones from the eBay auction:

Picture 1 of 12

It has the angled front tabs and the level-with-the-floor rear.  It does have that weird extra tang on the side of the rail with the lever, but all I really care about is whether the mounting tabs are the same distance apart as on the 280Z.  

Top view:

Picture 6 of 12

11 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

how far are they apart? I might have some floating around in my parts bin..

Which set?

For the 280Z bolt hole to bolt hole is about 14."  I don't know about the 280ZX. 

*Edit:  That measurement is for the bolt holes that attach to the floor.

Edited by ArcticFoxCJ