IGNORED

75 280Z Clock Repair?

HusseinHolland

Been raining all weekend. Since I can't work outside, I got back on the clock repair.

First, I checked some of the remaining caps rated at 10uf. Most of them were 8-8.3uf (!) , others were 10.5 or higher. The .22uf caps were all under 2.1, most were .2 or below.

PXL_20230924_163038895.jpg

I removed the .22uf (read as .20) and one of the 10uf (read at 10.45) from the circuit board. The other 10uf read at 10.3, which was closer than most.

PXL_20230924_162647145.jpg

I found one .215uf and one 10.1uf cap, so I installed them.I also added 2 sockets (not in focus, sorry) to allow me to plug in various resistors if needed to adjust the resistance of the 2M resistor

PXL_20230924_181645375.jpg

Turns out, I didn't need that - with the replaced caps, the wheel was triggered & the clock runs. It's been keeping time since 2pm, so I'm hopeful that's that.

PXL_20230924_213028537.jpg

• Like 3

hmm 20% off is not too bad with electro caps. Generally they have a pretty wide tolorance +/-. Seems like it should have been ok but maybe its a case of stacking with a non OE transistor. Anyway glad you got it going, but ditto the stop and restart check to make sure.

3 hours ago, Dave WM said:

hmm 20% off is not too bad with electro caps. Generally they have a pretty wide tolorance +/-. Seems like it should have been ok but maybe its a case of stacking with a non OE transistor. Anyway glad you got it going, but ditto the stop and restart check to make sure.

I see - I figured 20% was kind extreme, I assumed under 5% deviation would be more appropriate. Anyhow, I returned the set of caps, since all the ones I checked were more like 20% off listed value. If were to buy more, I would look for name brand, not even bother with generic.

Edited by HusseinHolland

%Oh yes, nichicon are the best, and get the 105c. I suppose modern caps are tighter tolerances as well so 20% was probably bad too. I was thinking of the old caps I used to run into on vintage electronics, they would often be like 100%+ 50%- rated, really wide ranges. This is stuff from the 1950's and 1960's. Tech has come a long way since then so I was off base on that 20%+-

• Like 2

• 3 months later...