IGNORED

Sound Deadener differences?

Warty

I have a 1/1970 240Z (#1427). I have removed the sound deadening tar from the floor pans, and am preparing to replace it with new tar, using Wurth tar I found recommended here. That same post had a pattern for a 1970 Z. I printed out the pattern, but when I went to check the fit, the portion under each seat is of a different pattern than my car had. On mine, there is an additional (useless??) area cut out towards the rear. The front floor pan pieces DO match up though. 

I tried to look on Bring a Trailer/ etc for photos of other 1970 Zs, but the under-seat area doesn't seem to get photographed regularly (have to remove the seat, duh). Lots of photos of completely stripped an repainted Z interiors though of course... 

Does anybody else have a similar pattern? Is this a known thing? (Google didn't help here). 

online template vs 1427.png

sound deadener seat area 1427.png

Hey Warty, are you using the templates from our downloads section. I'm the guy that created them, when I did a test of the templates before I removed my tar mats they matched my 7/70 car quite well. Here is a link to mine in case you did not find them and some pics of the under seat area before I removed that tar mats.

Hope this helps, Mike

20200702_173256.jpg

20200702_173419.jpg

• Like 1

I just noticed that your car being a 1/70 does not have the extra crosswise stiffener aft of the seat mounts, that could explain why the the tar mats under the seats are different. Compare the area I have circled in a picture of your car that I found in one of your recent posts with same area in the pics of my 7/70 posted above.

image.png

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Yes, sorry, I was running out the door when I posted that, I should have linked to them. That's what I started from. I worked from there, to what my look like.

Some of the obvious differences I see from looking at car photos and the drawings:

• On your car, one of the little insets near the drain channels in the seat riser is "deep". On my car, both those insets are shallow. 
  • On your car, the back edge runs straight across. On my car, it has another cut out, roughly square. 
  • One side of yours had a different shape than the other, but mine are the same. If I flip one upside down, it fits perfectly over the tar on the other side. 
  • The dimensions are somewhat subtly different. 

Your 7/70 car has the back-of-seat extra rib, mine doesn't. Maybe there was a change to the tar shape that accompanied that? 

My car also didn't have any deadener on the rear deck, but I haven't seen any other Zs like that. The tire cover alignment sticker is there, but I guess someone could have carefully removed the tar and sprayed, and stuck the sticker back on. 

1427 RH tar under seat 3.png

1427 LH tar under seat 2.png

1427 RH tar under seat 1.png

1427 LH tar under seat 1.png

I used the template downloads from the site and had the same offset issue.  Had to make adjustments to the template just like you illustrated.  I used JEGS Quiet Ride sound / heat insulation.  It doesn't have foil, though.  It was the material most similar to stock.  Pretty easy to install.  Heat gun and a roller.

Does your Z have the rear deck deadener, or bare metal? Still trying to figure out if my Z is weird and never had it, or if it had it, but someone (very) carefully removed all trace of it. 

When you apply the heat gun, it will make the single sheets join nicely?