IGNORED

MSA Front Speaker Panel Kit?

Jeff G 78

Has anybody with a 280Z used these MSA speaker panels?  Not that I have my Z on the road right now, but when I do, I will need to add more speakers.  I have a nice Alpine stereo with a few small amps, but I only have the two 4" quality speakers in the factory locations under the quarter windows.  The sound quality is okay, but the system is all but useless with the road noise in these cars.  

I could build a real speaker panel like they used to sell and I might still do that, but the sound is still all behind me.  Are the front kick panel speaker mounts worth getting?  How much space do the eat up for foot room and do the speakers sound decent in those thin plastic housings?  Is the dead pedal blocked?

I'm looking for feedback from someone who actually uses them.

https://www.thezstore.com/product/3509/front-speaker-panel-kit-75-78-280z

I used them on my build and have a post describing them. I'll try to look it up for you later when I get a chance. They added much needed front staging for the sound system and are definitely worth the price.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Here you go:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eclassiczcars%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F58305-Revised-Stereo-Install&share_tid=58305&share_fid=83168&share_type=t&link_source=app

• Like 1

Thanks @dmorales-bello for finding and sharing your install!  How intrusive is the driver's side speaker?  It looks like it might block the dead pedal completely.  

When I installed my system 10 years or so ago, I mouned the amps under the false floor, so other than the receiver, nothing is visable.  The MSA rear speaker box has been unavailable for years, so I will just try to duplicate it for my '78.  Is your rear speaker box attached?  If so, what does it take to get access to the hinged wood floor panel?

Your system looks super clean.

Even though, speakers are a low priority right now, I want to get the panels before they are no longer available.

I really don't feel the front speaker pod on the driver's side blocks the dead pedal at all. However, I wear size 10.5 shoes which are not extremely large and my normal driving position is with my left knee bent and foot resting on the carpet and not on the dead pedal.
The rear speaker pod has to be moved forward to lift the deck board. I do have it fixed to the board itself with two 3" screws (one screw on each side towards the top edge) that go through the pod itself and into a couple of the metal tabs that normally hold the stock plastic piece that covers the rear lights and that you need to remove to install the MSA speaker enclosure. Pretty easy to fix and remove.

• Like 3

It's been so long since I installed my system, I had forgotten what I used.  I still have all the boxes, so I just went and looked.  I have an Alpine receiver, two Alpine amps, a Sony crossover and a pair of Boston 4" speakers.  Obviously, I planned to install more speakers.  🙂

It's nothing super fancy, but with additional front and rear speakers, it might sound okay for an old car.

20230624_101342.jpg

20230624_101352.jpg

20230624_101407.jpg

20230624_101422.jpg

20230624_101438.jpg

20230624_101522.jpg

20230624_101551.jpg

• Like 1

I just found the receipts.  I bought the receiver and speakers in April 2008 and I bought the amps and crossover used from a friend, so they are likely five or more years older than that.  Seems like yesterday.  🙂 

• Agree 1