IGNORED

Antenna Install Help

Richie G

I found a NOS pointy tip about a year or so ago and just getting around to install it in my 6/71.  It's a pain in the arse let me tell you.  I'm either way off or something is missing.  Does anyone have picture of the original setup and also what the bracket looks like?  Here is a picture of the antenna as I received it, are these pieces at the top in the right order?  Assuming they are, when i try to put it in the toothed half wheel seems too small for the hole in the panel and keeps coming up through no matter what i do to steady it for the washer and nut..  I must be missing something because it's near impossible to orient these with only the two hands God gave me lol.  Even when I get close, the bracket I was sent with it seems way too long and I can't get that onto the bottom or the wing nut bolt in the body.  Anmy help super appreciated.

image.jpeg

OK, made some progress after scouring the site and some ebay listings.  I found that the last two bottom pieces were in the wrong order.  Also found the right orientation of the rubber seal and was able to mount it loosly screwed into the mast.  Now I also see the longer bracket he gave me was for the "shorter" harada bullet tip antenna, no wonder it was impossible to connect with it.  I must have the next series antenna which is longer and has a much longer antenna cord.  Seems that type only requires a small L shaped bracket to get on the post.  If anyone has a picture of what the bracket should look like on my type of antenna please upload.

Bingo!  Had an old pice of angle iron and lucked into an odd shape that worked perfectly.  I thought I'd be bending for 20 mins but only second attempt.  First attempt was an L and there just wasn't enough clearance for the wingnut.  This must have been an extra father's day gift cause I never expected it to be so easy lol.  Finished work.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks.  I think your antenna is a bit shorter than mine.  Your bracket was what I had with it but it was way too long to get anywhere near the right angle I needed.  The more I learn about these cars I am amazed at how ingenious most of the design was.  From what I've come across in my limited tinkering, this setup is one of those could have been better items.  but nothing beats the dreaded gas tank vent bends and twists.  There is so many better ways to make those hose connection straight you would think 🙂

I sure hope so after all the effort I've been putting in.  Did the vapor side too, now just need to get all the hoses back in place then i'll do the deck and on to the mid section  The kilmat stuff is pretty easy to work with, even the rolling wasnt all that bad.  I just wish it was paintable but I keep telling myself to set expectations.  I can get ahead of myself with all the great ideas to bring it back to fully original.  Then reality sets in but i think i'm learning to live with the balance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1