IGNORED

78 280z Frame rail question

Lee Farris

My 280z has minimal rust anywhere except the frame rails.  The passenger side is pretty bad, drivers side not as bad but I still want to replace.  I found someone locally that will weld the new frame rails on if I find them for $600 dollars a side.  I ran across this site Apex engineering that sells the pair of frame rails for $650.  Has anyone bought/installed these?  These frame rails look like what I need.  Here is the website.

https://www.apexengineered.com/store/p105/Frame_Rails.html#  

Just how dangerous is it to drive a Z and not replace the frame rails, seems dangerous to me.

Any help will be appreciated,

Lee Farris

Those really aren't frame rails in my mind. I mean they are, but they aren't. They're really more like floor reinforcements or floor braces. The frame rails in my mind run from the firewall to the radiator support. Depends what's rotted...

Floor supports dont scare me too much. I have driven some Zs with no floor boards pretty hard

I mean real Flintstone cars!

Rotted front frame rails is totally different. Your front steering rack, suspension, motor all bolts to that! Especially the section that tends to rust first. I personally prefer to choose the direction of my car versus the rust choosing it for me 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Lee Farris said:

the front rails on my 280z are good

Hi, did you look inside with a camera? They can be bad..

Framerails, i made them myself, if you look close they are not that difficult to make yourself.. Especially when you only need the "under the floor" part(s).

• Like 1