IGNORED

Guess what made my 51 year old car stop working after driving it for 22 years without a problem?

dutchzcarguy

I'm driving my 1971's (feb) 240z now for about 22 years and i can say i had never a problem with it when i ignore the new set of gaskets and oilseals i installed in 2007 because there were a lot of degrading seals..

Yesterday i wanted to go chopping and it was the first time that ... there was nothing after i tried to start??

NOTHING ??  nothing... wtf.. 🤬

Pulled the hood and a look at the multimeter (that is never far away in my case..)  told me the battery was completely empty.  (about 180mV!) 

I know what it did but now is the question do you?

The battery is 3 years old and a good brand, this was not the problem.. the alternator? nope.. perfect condition..  Left the lights on? Nope..  cabin light.. nope..  radio.. nope..  no key was left in the ign. so that was also not the problem.. 

BUT what was??  (After i recharged the battery the troublemaker was obvius and the car started as it always had done.) 

I like to read your comments and eh.. Bart? shut it.. you know what was the problem because i told you already! :finger:

Hahaha Yes! the first one! 🤣

My underhood light had a faulty bulb..  And as lots of people would do.. i switched it several times not knowing anymore what was on or off!

Aparantly by driving the car the broken tungsten wire in the bulb reconnected and the light came on (even brighter)!

Now the car stood still for a week or so so it drained the battery completely! 

Solution.. disconnected it! 😁

And so ends the story about a car that always worked when needed..  only once in over 20 years it stopped due to a problematic " if you have a problem under the hood emergency light.." pfff...

• Like 1

That something I do every single time I have my hood up, click that light on. Strange habbit, strange guy but I feel like the plastic toggle won't break if I use it regularly. So far, so good. 

I didn't know they have the extra wire under them until I saw one for sale on Ebay. Instructions and owner's manuals have never meant much to me.:facepalm:

• Like 2