IGNORED

280z Interior Plastic Repair and SEM coat

ckurtz2

Hey guys,

I am repairing the interior trim on my 280z and I wanted your advice on what I should do. I have read forums everywhere, and it seems like everyone has a little bit of a different method. My panels aren't terrible, but definetly need some structural work. I took some photos of the cracks, but there are a lot more. I was wondering if I should just tack glue things back together with superglue then put plastic epoxy over the back? Others say they add a little bit of fiberglass too? I could do that, but would I need epoxy resin for that too instead of the plastic epoxy. In addition, how would you repair those cracked holes where the pop clips should go through.

The thing I am most confused about though is how to paint them with SEM products. I bought the SEM plastic adhesion promoter, and plastic/leather prep, and then a white colorcoat. I have now read there is a product called SEM sand free that people also use to prep the plastic? I am confused as to if I should use the sand free or adhesion promoter. If there are any SEM masters in here please share the best way to go about this, I really want to get this right the first time and never have to touch these again. I am looking for the original plastic texture to look the same. I provided some photos of the affected areas. Thank you!

IMG-3403.jpg

IMG-3402.jpg

IMG-3401.jpg

IMG-3400.jpg

Edited by ckurtz2

@zKars

This clears up a lot of confusion, and makes me feel confident I bought the right products for the plastic. In regards to the vinyl, do I need to buy the SEM vinyl prep, or can I just use their plastic prep? Otherwise, you answered all my questions:) Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2022 at 10:31 AM, DatsunZGuy said:

I have achieved good result using JB Weld Plastic Bonder and reinforcing the back of the panels with sections of window screen to strengthen the area and provide a good base to fill any voids.  

image.png

Thank you for this post.  Swapped the screen for fiberglass cloth and treated it more like a layup, but I used this epoxy to bond everything.  I'm happy with the results I'm getting.

• Like 2