So the main power is hooked up right. Your chart shows that isn't a problem. And the green/blue wire has 12VDC on the 9 pin connector. That is perfect.

You said you found one cross connect in the center stack.

When you turn the combo switch to turn on the running lights now, the gauge lights should come on. Does that happen after you corrected the one cross connect? If not, with the switch in the position to turn on the parking lights, check voltage to ground on the green/blue and green/white wires where they are soldered to the switch.

If the gauge lights still only come on with the key in ON, pull the ignition fuse and see if the lights are still on. If so, repeat for the AC fuse and wiper fuse.

Latest finding on your above recommended checks.  Just to clarify: Once I corrected the cross connection in the center stack, I no longer had any instrument lights that worked.  Making the checks above , here's what I found.  I checked power at the switch solder joints under three conditions: Key on Parking light switch on, Key off parking light switch on, Key off parking light switch off.  All resulted in the same results;  No power on green/blue solder joint; 12V power to the green/white solder joint.  Next I picked up a 12V power source and jumpered it to the green/white solder joint. I now had: instrument lights, tail lights, marker lights and brake warning light on the dash.  I'm beginning to think the multifunction switch is bad.  On a related note:  when I had the wires misconnected and was back feeding thru the instrument lights, the windshield wiper motor worked.  Today when I got the lights working the wiper motor did not function (yes the fuse is good) however the wiper switch was very hard to operated I heard something click inside the switch like something broke, the switch operated easily after that but did not operate the wiper motor.  Your thoughts???  As usual ...thanks for sharing your expertise.

Well I ordered a reconditioned headlight switch ($$).  I'll let you know how it goes once I get it installed.  By applying power to the green/blue solder joint all the lights appear to function (except the turn signals).  Maybe the replacement headlight switch will correct that.  First things first.  I'll keep you posted.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...