IGNORED

1972 rear bumper guard position

emccallum

I sent my 72 bumpers off to be re-chromed. I got them back and they look very nice. I had a NOS set of rear bumper rubber strips. They are too long. When I look at pictures I see two different positions for the bumper guards. Some cars have them in line with the back up lights and some have the guards just about over the exhaust. Mine are just over the exhaust. In all my z years I have never noticed this.  I know you guys know all about this! Please teach me.

Here are two examples I found online. I could cut the rubber shorter, or possibly change the position of the guards. It seems the smaller guards are farther out, and the ones in line with the back up lights look larger (or that may just be the pictures). I  want to make the car as close as possible to original. I have no clue if the bumper on my 72 is original or a replacement. I only know it's been on it since 1982. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 7.27.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 7.26.52 PM.png

Yes, I think you are correct. Thanks for the reply. 

I just flipped through the parts diagrams and it seems they have the same bumperettes but different center bumper sections and rubber.  My car is 3/72 so it should have the bumperettes more inboard. Decisions, decisions. I wish I would have noticed this before chrome. I have a spare bumper, hopefully its an early one so I can use it for measuring or just rechrome the center. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think i've seen more than 3-4 different "bumperettes" on usa cars.. personally i love the "without those bumperettes" look.. In Europe and Japan they don't have those extra "weights" on..  and.. i don't think it would matter when in a collision.. haha.. i left them off and sold them! 😉

Oh .. the holes for the bolts? (from where the bumperettes would sit.)  there are original rubber thingy's for that!

Edited by dutchzcarguy

21 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

liking the original

If we take a look at the Original.... the fairlady in Japan... it has no overriders... it's a USA thing..  regulations rules rules.... rules... 

But hey... some like those blinds on the rear window, others prefer modern wheels on a classic.. everyone his/her thing.. 👍

Edited by dutchzcarguy

20 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

If we take a look at the Original.... the fairlady in Japan... it has no overriders... it's a USA thing..  regulations rules rules.... rules... 

Overriders were an extra cost showroom option on Japanese market variants. They were listed in the sales brochures and in the factory parts lists.

1st Sales Brochure scan-3.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, emccallum said:

So, the cars without bumperettes are mere base models when compared to the more upscale well optioned models. 🤣

In Japan they were a buyer's choice. You might agree that it was nice to have a factory showroom options list to choose from rather than an independent dealer's choice of additions adding to your bottom line. 

21 hours ago, HS30-H said:

You might agree that it was nice to have a factory showroom options list to choose from

Yeah.. and why were those stupid weights on the list? because they had to make them anyway!  The question that comes up... HOW MANY fairlady's were driven with those (To me.. damn ugly... )  things on? 😮

• Like 1