IGNORED

adjust timing

xkeithx

OK, I see where you are at on this issue.

Sounds like you are just getting ready to get into this thing. Since you haven't looked at the plugs, and I'm guessing that this is a new (to you) car )god knows what shape they are in, or how long they have been in there)........replace the plugs now (use anti-seize on the threads), do the other things that you mentioned, and keep an eye on those plugs. Pull them and inspect them each week for a while and see how they look, how their appearance changes as time passes. This (and the compression test) will help to tell you how bad of an issue this "blow-by" is for your engine.

Didn't mean to overwhelm you with questions :D

It sounds like you have an L series engine about to go for the long rest at boot hill. With that breather problem, your crank case is pressurising, so you will be better off fitting a hose and jar set up to the hose, or run the hose down the outside of the engine so excess oil can flow off when you back off. for the spark plugs, spark plug cleaners are like sandbasters that you direct the flow into the coked up end and blast until clean. you can do this as much or as little as you like with each plug. re-gap you plugs at every removal and if you are pulling plugs alot use the TQ wrench so you don,t screw a thread as well. The situation sounds serious and these are all short term fixes. If I where you I would start planning a strip down and repair or find another engine.

good luck

Steve :classic:

Check the PCV valve and clean it with some carberator cleaner . If you have the ammount of blow by that you say innstalling the little filter on the valve cover will just dump the fumes in to the passanger compartment . Check the pcv .Is this car pushing blue smoke out the exhaust? Does it push blue smoke out at startup only? How many miles on the engine? Take a compression test , that will tell you a lot in this area. Remember what was mentioned about the use of anti-size .

bambikiller240

Yes, I am just getting into this issue with the car. I have not even owned it for 4 weeks yet and find new things all the time that need attention. I will work with the plugs this weekend. Don't sweat all the questions, they had to be asked.

sjcurtis

The engine may well be heading that way. Doesn't bother me too much as I have an L28 in my garage that will replace it but it needs to be worked on first. I realize that these are all temporary solutions to a bigger problem. That's really all I was looking for until I can get the L28 ready and put in. I was planning on this even before I found my Z but was hoping that I would get one that ran good enough to where I would not be rushed to get the engine ready (I know nothing about this and will be learning along the way so this will go slower than what many of you can do).

beandip

Ok, so I just tried driving it and decided that I didn't have the time to mess with it as I really just needed to get to work. Anyhow, there was no blue smoke when it started nor while I had it running. While sitting at a and warming the engine I reved it a few times and did notice some smoke from the exhaust but by the time it got up to the driver's door where I saw it I could not tell the color (it was not very noticable). I have no clue how many miles are on the engine. It does have the appearance of having been rebuilt at some time or another (it's really pretty clean and the paint on the block is in good shape). What I can tell you is that the odometer reads 59xxx which is likely to reall be 159xxx or 259xxx or maybe even more.

I think I covered it all. Thank you all for the help, I'll post after I review the plugs and compression with what I find.

Back to original problem. If your harmonic balancer has indeed spun the pulley, you should get a replacement. The pulley is ready to fly off and the best case scenario is it will only take out your timing cover and radiator when it does. If you can get a better one from a junk yard, it should be cheap.

--John