IGNORED

Radio Options

z3beemer

that is fantastic. My next project is to build new keys for the retrosound with the help of 3-D Print

What a good idea , you ever get some working models please do share , if you don’t mind of course . I was thinking of a way to open up the originals I have for fitment with a dremel, but I haven’t built up the courage quite yet. Also have a number of other projects before I take a crack at that one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/1/2022 at 11:32 AM, z3beemer said:

I've been looking into radio options for my 73 240Z and found a company that will take your radio and update all the internals but maintain the original face plate, housing, etc. It will even maintain full function of the pushbutton presets. It's not cheap, but provides a lot of options that you can pick and choose. Options include, bluetooth, hands free phone, usb, flashdrive, mp3, etc. You will end up with a 180 watt 4 channel unit. I priced it for mine with all the options and the price was $550. The web site is: www.tech-retro.com. They have a good video on the site that demonstrates the unit and all the features. The actual work is performed through authorized dealers throughout the US. The one closest to me is in Chicago area. I've spoke to him several times and he's been very helpful, plus he's a car guy.

Paul (z3beemer)

I just watched their demo.  they have some pretty awesome capabilities.  I would love to see how they do with a Datsun radio.

• 5 months later...

Just a follow up on my original post on the Z radio options. I went with the www.tech-retro.com mentioned in my earlier post.  I had Ralph the Radio Guy in Bartlett, IL (773 814 5094) do the conversion on mine.  So far, I'm very happy with it. The radio looks and work just like the original one.  When I got it back, I set it up on the bench and checked out all the features.  Everything works as described in thier video. I now have am/fm stereo ,4 channel 45W (ea) speaker connection, usb input, mp3 input, bluetooth, hands free phone with internal or external mic. It now also has a fader and a balance control.  My original radio was an am/fm monaural radio with one rear speaker.  The car isn't on the road yet, but the radio is installed and tested.  All ok

• Like 4

It's controlled by multiple quick turns on the volume or tuning controls. Fo example if a phone call comes in I can accept it by making one quick turn to the right on the tuning knob.  
To end the call one quick turn to the left on the tuning knob.  Go to the web site they have a good video demonstration of all the features and how to operate them.  www.tech-retro.com.

• Thanks 1

Marty here are a few pics of the unit installed.  The one pic shows two cables. These come from the back of the unit and are for a USB input, the other is for an MP3 input.  The USB is a short cable and MP3 is a female jack.  I had to buy longer cables to come from the back of the unit to the consul area for easier access. The pic showing the small hole below the volume control is an internal mic for hands free operation.  Ralph, the guy who did my upgrade, installed this at no cost.  Not sure if other authorized installers do the same.  The upgrade does come with wired mic that plugs into a jack at the rear, then you can run the wire wherever you want.  I believe it has 6 or 10 ft length.

DSC03639.JPG

DSC03640.JPG

DSC03646.JPG

DSC03649.JPG

• Like 4