IGNORED

valve adjustment wrench?

xkeithx

none of my wrenches seem to fit the valve adjustment bolts. can anyone tell me what size wrenches i need to go out and buy in order to adjust my valves??? thanks!! also one more thing just to make sure, which way do i turn the small nut on top to loosen it? (that one is the lock nut, correct?)

Originally posted by xkeithx

none of my wrenches seem to fit the valve adjustment bolts. can anyone tell me what size wrenches i need to go out and buy in order to adjust my valves??? thanks!! also one more thing just to make sure, which way do i turn the small nut on top to loosen it? (that one is the lock nut, correct?)

As I recall the small nut is 14mm and the large is 17mm. What sizes did you try?

I don't recall that the threads are reversed so loosening should be in the normal direction. If I'm wrong, well, try the other direction.

The nuts are definitely 14mm and 17mm. Both nuts loosen counterclockwise. Loosen the 17mm first. If the metric feels way too loose, see if an SAE wrench will fit any tighter. Can't understand why the new metrics wouldn't fit right though. Victor.

CRAFTSMAN!!

i used to own a set of craftsman tools. they never seemed to fit right and i thought it was me. its not its the wrenches are made poorly.

before kobalt changed theyre line i would have recomended them but now theyre new line looks just like craftsman.

find a good set of wrenches.

I'm with Beandip. I don't want to be too critical here but, maybe a little schooling in basic auto mechanics would be appropriate here Keith. However, you obviously got the cam cover off, so you must have some skills. Any ridicule you may get here is just in fun. Remember, we all love the Z car. So, if your not sure of yourself, do as suggested and have an experienced mechanic do it for you and watch what he's doing so you can do it next time.