IGNORED

fuel tank sending unit question

bart

I was hoping someone could tell me the name of the type of connector that is used on the fuel level sending unit. They have been cut off on my 240z and the previous owner wrapped the wires on the unit. I suppose I have a second question, what size of connector do I go I get, can I simply measure the diameters of the post I am going to connect them to?

Tanks.

This may be hard to explain here, but the connectors are similar to a regular spade type connector. They slide over the top of the post on the sending unit. You probably could use a spade type connector to replace the original ones, but you'd have to open up the spade part a little. Hope this helps, it's kind of hard to describe with out a picture.

Luckily, I have pictures of just about everything I've taken off my car. Attached is a closeup of my fuel sending unit, and the two wires. I intentionally pointed one of the connectors toward the camera, since I was very surprized when I took it off. I figured that the plastic cover was covering up a nut, kind of like at the alternator. Anyway, the connectors are kind of like a spade, as kmack suggests. The posts fit up into the connectors, and are trapped between the two edges. Hopefully the picture shows it better than words...

post-4028-14150792756946_thumb.jpg

Careful with the positive connector. I replaced the big O-ring to fix a gasoline leak, which didn't work. On closer inspection, the gasoline was leaking out of the positive connection fitting. I hammered the rivet tighter and put JB Weld around the fitting on the outside, and so far the leak is stopped. Victor.