IGNORED

Finally getting around to doing some rust repair.. what other tasks make sense to try to knock out?

Neb

So I have the good fortune of being able to enlist some knowledgeable welding help from a family member, and will soon be diving into the repair of my driver's side floor pan and both frame rails.  We also will be hopefully repairing a couple other smaller problem areas. 

I'm wondering: what other mods would be a good to undertake while I've got the interior out and the ability to weld?  The car is going to be mostly driven for street/weekend/club outings, but I'd like to get it out at Summit Pt or VIR and am considering a roll cage.  Or really any other chassis stiffening or safety improvements.  I did already splurge a bit on the Apex Engineering braces for the front that go in the fenders.  I figure at the very least I'll put in a bolt in 3way brace up front.  But welding is a dark art to me, and I want to leverage the time I have well. 

For those of you who've been down this road, do you have any suggested mods? 

Thanks in advance, Ben

Subframe connectors are the first thing that comes to mind for me. 

Available here: https://baddogparts.com/

Might want to browse Hybridz.org if you're looking to modify and do some chassis work as that site is geared more to that sort of thing. A full roll cage is off the table if you want to street drive the car though, unless you want to wear a helmet every time you drive it. 

Edited by rturbo 930
  • Like 1

Be mindful of how you weld on the chassis. The chassis is designed to move in certain places and over welding can inhibit that movement and cause problems in other places. I'm not interested in a full frame unless I'm gonna race the car and need it to get through tech

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. I have to agree the roll cage doesn't fit here. Sticking to the repair for now, with an eye toward some bolt ins and maybe a roll bar eventually. 

Also, I popped over to the bad dog site. When y'all say subframe connectors, which part are you specifically referring to?  Is that the ends of the frame rail segments they offer? 

Thanks again, Ben

4 hours ago, Neb said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have to agree the roll cage doesn't fit here. Sticking to the repair for now, with an eye toward some bolt ins and maybe a roll bar eventually. 

Also, I popped over to the bad dog site. When y'all say subframe connectors, which part are you specifically referring to?  Is that the ends of the frame rail segments they offer? 

Thanks again, Ben

I'm not sure why they don't make it more clear or offer them as a set, but yes, you order a set of front and rear frame rails, weld them together, and install in the car. I'm sure there's a thread on HybridZ that shows how they go in, they were a pretty popular item.