IGNORED

Reverse switch wiring

Dat.240

On the laundry list of odds and ends I need to address, one is the reverse lights wiring . Upon my purchase recently there where no wires attached to the switch . I Looked around the forums a bit and seen mentioning the wiring diagram to determine the run, I have the diagram but was hoping anyone may have some pointers on if it comes through the firewall or it’s in the dash? Ironically I see 2 wires pertruding  out the firewall could it be that easy ? The year is a 71 month 3 , i certainly will be scouring the forums for knowledge. And apreciate and and all help !

81E232CA-60D2-4814-A7FB-F1ECCB05B67D.jpeg

Edited by badking333

The stock wiring for the reverse switch does NOT go through the choke cable grommet. (FYI - That is not the proper choke cable grommet.) The wires should come off the main engine harness where it goes through the firewall near the battery.

The wire colors are listed as red/black and red. IIRC there should female bullet connectors on the ends of the wires. They should be routed so they come close to this area around the transmission. (See below)

image.png

You have to be under the car to see the wires. Sorry, I didn't take photos when I was replacing the switch a few months back.

Wow Steve I really can’t thank you enough, the wires are still tucked in down there. I looked before but certainly missed them. Looking at the correct choke cable grommet there should only be 2 wires coming out and the extras I have  shouldn’t be there ? Trying to learn as much as I can , and get it as close to original within reason.

Edited by badking333
Addition

I believe for your car, the choke cable grommet should look like this: https://www.zeddsaver.com/products/240z-70-71-choke-cable-grommet-on-firewall

1970-datsun-240z-choke-cable-grommet-eng 

There should only be the choke cables coming out. I cannot tell you what the wires are in your photo. Many previous owners have modified wiring and usually not for the better. In fact, I'm going through my cars and fixing many of the modifications made by myself and others.

I have the JDM style choke cable grommet, can't testify to the authenticity of the style. It was purchased over 10 years ago, likely from MSA or Black Dragon - one of the few items not listed in my build sheet. As Steve mentions, the only electrical wires passing thru the firewall will be the engine bay harness under the battery and the wiper motor sub-harness. Those extra wires at your choke cable grommet will have to investigated on the inside. Glad you found the reverse switch wires.

100_4402.JPG

10 hours ago, SteveJ said:

On the other hand, JDM Car Parts shows the style I'm more familiar with and says it's for all years of the 240Z. I hope an owner of a 70 or 71 will clarify.

https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/choke-cable-fire-wall-grommet-240z?variant=766761437

The one you posted above is the correct one for 1970/71. @nix240zmakes early type and the later style for 72/73

https://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4423763

https://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4423741

The 72/73 style is not just JDM, it's for all markets.

Years ago I purchased an NOS later choke assembly and used the later style grommet on my 1970,

image.png

Here's the early (top) vs later (bottom) choke assemblies for reference

image.png

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 3