IGNORED

Ignition Diagram for 240Z with L28 Motor

HappyZ

5 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

This one is a good start for the 240Z's.  Some people have tachometer problems when they switch to electronic ignition, but others don't.  

Always a good idea to study the instructions and understand what each wire does before beginning.  It's tempting to just follow the instructions and match wire colors but often there is a step missing or just not quite right.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/gmhei.html

I'm guessing that most of the tachometer problems people have is that they put both black/white wires onto the coil instead of connecting the black/white wire from the ballast resistor to the green/white on the ballast resistor. @beermanpete wrote that up about the Pertronix over at Hybridz.org.

I used this write up to put a '79 ZX distributor in my '72. It works great too.

Bought the refurbished ZX distributor off amazon.com

https://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

The 240 wiring is close to the bottom of the write up.

Screenshot_20220204-150851_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

To put a period on my post I had to get the old trusty laptop cracked open. This is a Excel spreadsheet that @Walter Moore took the time to do. I studied it for a couple of days and decided on the '79 manual transmission distributor and luckily amazon.com had one. I hope this helps you make a decision, it did for me. 

EDIT: I went back to my past purchases and found it. Unfortunately it's not available at this time. Maybe you could try rockauto.com?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C46L52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The spreadsheet is below... 

Distributor advance curves S30-S130.xls

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I cleaned up my points distributor and installed the Pertronix Ignitor II and the Flame Thrower II.  I read a number articles, comments, and watch videos. I updated a diagram posted on this site (sorry I can't remember the source) and wired it as shown.  My tach works and have good spark.  I haven't done any real testing yet.

Note to self...don't forget to install the rotor...your car won't start without it.

I hope the diagram helps.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 8.31.48 PM.pngd

IMG_4154.jpeg

IMG_4134.jpeg