IGNORED

New Gold Standard

z8987

15 hours ago, sfm6s524 said:

z8987, if you're going to buy a pair of blue plates for your car, here's one:

240GLD.jpg

It's hard to find someone in the US to make steel plates (vs aluminum) anymore.  I had a guy in Germany make me a set of steel ones a couple years ago.  DMV is use to seeing restored old plates now a days.

You'll have to call the DMV to make sure it's "clear" to use, since it is a legit plate that was probably used back in the day, and you can't order personalized plates of a valid pattern used in the past.  

Just throwing a risky idea out there!  😉

I like that. 

On 1/23/2022 at 12:10 PM, davewormald said:

My April 1971 car has a rear sway bar as well. I'm assuming it was installed by a previous owner. The installation of mine looks like a bit of a hack job to me. I check the undercarriage photos of the BaT cars and several have had similar versions installed. Anyone have an opinion about whether these make a noticeable difference? I've cleaned it up since this picture was taken, but I haven't re-installed the suspension yet.

Adding a rear anti-sway bar reduces body roll and oversteer. Brings the 240Z closer to neutral handling. On the downside - you lose some of the warnings as you approach the limits of tire adhesion. Body roll and tire squealing are warnings that you are approaching the limit….. so with no warning spin-outs happen suddenly and unexpectedly if you are not experienced and right on top of your game. I think that is where the old saying “you don’t know your limits until you spin out” comes from. 

You also lose the ability to use trailing throttle oversteer to set the rear of the car out where you want it attacking fast corners. For that reason about 8 or 9 out of 10 240Z’s are road raced without a rear anti-sway bar.   A better solution is a slightly larger diameter front anti-sway bar. It reduces body roll but maintains throttle control for faster corners. 

FWIW,

Carl B.

• Like 2