IGNORED

outer quarter glass weatherstrip

qz16

I have a 1973 240z and I am looking for an outlet to purchase the weatherstip that goes on the outside of the quarter glass.  This would fit

between the Door Sash and the quarter window and be mounted on the quarter window.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

outer quarter glass weatherstrip.jpg

I think this is the stuff you're looking for http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic03a09/34-1015 I like the seals on the 74-78 bodies, they are longer and appear to seal better. http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic03a09/34-1016-1

I've only used the latter ones, can anyone with experience with both chime in?

heyitsrama - Thanks for the response.  I have the 1970-1973 version and you are correct it does not cover much of the area.  I did not know that there was an available 260z, 280z version - thank you.  It looks like it will cover the length of the front quarter glass frame.  Interestingly enough MSA has the following note about the 260-280z version:
Note:
This weatherstrip can commonly be found installed on 240Z's, although it was never installed from the factory. You will need to locate screws and drill holes in your quarter window frame if you want to add these to your 240Z.

I'm not thrilled at the thought of drilling the extra holes into the quarter window frame, and I don't understand why they don't rely on adhesive to hold the seal in place, unless it is so thick that it rubs against the door sash when you close the door. 

Perhaps you could answer that question - how thick is the weatherstrip, and does it rub when you close your door?
Thanks again for the response.

chuck - thanks for the information.  Now I understand why they added the extra screws to the 260z/280z.  Can't figure out why they thought adhesive was good enough to hold the upper and lower seals on a 240z, and require screws and a metal strip to hold the center of the 260z/280z in place.   

I think the best thing for me to do is to use the original upper and lower, quarter seals, and then if I don't like the aesthetics to put a weather strip between them held by adhesive, making sure that it is thin enough not to rub against the door sash.

Really do appreciate the information - thanks.