IGNORED

Using a 240z as a daily-driver ?

royalflush313

How many people actually use their Z as a daily-driver ???

Do you come across any problems, or do you find the car reliable enough to drive as a daily driver ???

I'm in a process of getting the car, and i can't stop thinking about the car and what I'm gonna do with the car.... but I'm worried that I can't use the car as a daily-driver, which has to be done, as I can really afford to get two cars, but my mind is just so set on getting a 240z.

Any help and suggestions appreciated (except for telling me not to get a Z :classic: )

Is public transport an option?

I've owned two Z's and haven't had the heart to use either as a daily but plenty of owners do and wouldn't have it any other way. It all comes down to what you want out of the car, not what others want out of them and how much time you are willing to spend looking after it if you will use it as a daily.

One word of advice though, imagine the choke isn't there and properly warm it up. Don't use the choke to get your car moving when in a hurry because you slept in and you are running late and 'ooh one time won't hurt it'.:finger:

Goodluck

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. Bacause I used my car as a weekender it was so much more special when I did drive it. I'd be looking forward to Friday night and the ritual Sat morning wash and arvo cruise. It really makes you appreciate the car and you know you have something special. You loose this feeling if you drive it every day but some will beg to differ saying they feel like this every time they drive it no matter how frequently.

well I would love to have the car as a weekender, but if I wanted this luxury, getting the 240z would be out of the question. I need to make the car into a daily driver, otherwise i really can't get the car.

Any opinions from people using the car as a daily drivers??? What they do to keep the car in good shape???

I had mine for over a year as a daily driver and apart from the now and then fix that made him unable to be driven for a week or so, it was great.

But don't expect it will be as reliable as a new car. I can almost guarantee you it will be off the road every now and then. Good to have a backup plan...

As long as you buy it knowing you might have to take it off the road every now and then for something you'll love it. If you think you will be able to drive it every day without fail, you've got another thing coming.

But like George said, warm it up!! That's probably the most annoying thing about an old car like this is that you will have to warm it up. I usually go out 5 minutes early and start it up, go back and brush me teeth and stuff and by the time I'm finished it was warm and ready to go!

I've heard that you should still drive pretty carefully after that for a while, to get all the gearbox lubricants and everything flowing around properly.

So yeah, if you don't mind that, go for it!!! It's such a small price to pay for such a beautiful car.

I used my 1969 Z as a daily driver between 1986 and 1990 and then between 1993 and 2000. I know the car was a daily driver from birth to 1980. Testimony to Datsun - this car ran reliably all the time. It was serviced plenty, and went through its share of repairs, but generally speaking it was always kept up and maintained like any normal car should. I can't think of any one thing that broke before a long service life. Probably rust maintenance is the worst problem requiring the longest repairs. After I restore it within the next three years, I will use her for pleasure only.

If daily is to a work location and some running around sure.If you are a traveling salesman--no.I drove mine daily for a couple of decades.Just like any old car they do require attention at times.Since the ground up resto. on mine it is now a true daily driver.When I do drive it it's for the day!!ROFL

Good question. My friends and I have talked about this but came to no real conclusion (because we all were talking $^!# hahaha).

What do you people think? And possibly more importantly, why?

Mine is driven to work daily. But, I live 4 miles from work - and- I've been throgh just about every main system on the car (see my journal) so I have quite a bit of confidence in the car at this point. ( I hope that statment doesn't curse me to break down today)

I use mine daily but to be 100% honest I'd rather not. It's reliable been driving it a year with nothing too major wrong some things required replacement but they were parts that have been in service for 20 odd years or more.

The choke is not a problem if it's set up correctly. The problem is the centre consoles crack and then the choke isn't properly engadged. I do not have to warm my car up really but I do nancy her till she get's warm.

Other annoyances are the car park at Uni has 5 levels and if I'm late I sometimes have to park on the top floor with the open roof and the sun rain etc.. all have there go at my car. (I hate this).

I have alot of things to do to my car before I can be confident in the way it drives. Engine mounts , gearbox mounts, oil leaks.

THe other thing is tuning the SU carbs they come out of adjustment all the time. I purchases a Unisyn recently to get it into tune but I plan on getting it on a dyno to set up fuel delivery etc.. once that's done i should be able to adjust them myself (hopefully).

At the end of the day George is right you appreciate the car more when you drive it on special occassions but I do admit I still smile when i drive it everyday. I think it's the fact that my car is built for the pleasure of driving I haven't had a decent stereo in a year and truth be told I only sometimes miss it (usually when i'm in traffic).:classic: