IGNORED

280z: 260s Comp Cam

ckurtz2

Hey guys!

Just a theoretical question here. I can't find really anything online about z owners who are running the 260s comp cam on their L28e or Z for the matter. So I figured I'd ask if anyone has, or knows anyone who has, used this cam on their Z. Does it make any noticeable difference in hp or torque? Is it able to be used with a stock 280z EFI system? Would you recommend it for someone trying to find just a slight bump in power?  Really just trying to start a conversation of what your thoughts are about this cam. 

Here is a link to the cam I am talking about. https://zcardepot.com/products/performance-camshaft-comp-racing-cam-240z-260z-280z

On 11/11/2021 at 5:45 AM, ckurtz2 said:

running the 260s comp cam on their L28e

on carbs yes that works.. i think you should find a lot of threads about this on this site..

On 11/11/2021 at 5:45 AM, ckurtz2 said:

Is it able to be used with a stock 280z EFI system?

It's known that the orig FI system does NOT like a bigger cam, it just does not work very well because the system is not tuned to a bigger cam.. you need a aftermarket FI system that you can programm. like mega squirt or something.. (I have no experience with those..yet..)

If you have a L28 injection then you could put some Hitachi (L24) carbs on it and tune it to the bigger cam and get a nice increase on the horsepower..

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 2

Here is a thread where I was asking for previous experience and thoughts on a .480/274 cam with stock fuel injection. People with a great deal of knowledge suggested that I would be disappointed with the results.    

I ended up installing a .460 lift cam on a .080 shaved P79 head with DSI lightened flat top pistons.  I went for Zcardepot's FAST EFI system. It's nowhere near as tunable as Megasquirt or Haltech, but it works just fine for my application.  The car runs beautifully.  Didn't even bother seeing what would happen if i tried to run the stock FI. 

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/63898-lift-480-480-duration-274274-cam-with-oe-fuel-injection/

Edited by Reptoid Overlords
  • Like 2