IGNORED

Ignition Coil….which one, when and why?

Av8ferg

I need to get help clearing the air on the coil for these cars.   I begin by saying I have 2 coils, one was on the car and the other in a box of Z parts I acquired.   The coil (#1 )that was in the car doesn’t really fit in the bracket, it too big but with a longer bolt it works,  the one in the box (#2) is too small and won’t hold in the stock bracket with stock screw,  

#1 has a resistance from the center post to the (-) terminal of 1.5k ohms 

#2 has a resistance of 1.2 ohm 

#1 was on the car with the stock ballast resistor in place, and the car ran.  I have subsequently removed the ballast resistor because I’m using the ZX e12 matchbox ignition.  The 82’. FSM says you want between .8k and 1.2k ohms across the center post and the (-) terminal.  

So, I think the #2 coil that doesn’t fit the bracket has the proper resistance but doesn’t fit.  #1 coil has too much resistance.

All the coils I see advertised on places like MSA have like the  Flame Thrower (what a gimmick name BTW). They all have the 1.5k resistance too.  

I think found an NGK online with 1.2k ohms.  Do you all think this is the right coil.  

Thanks Zedhead, I’ll try again.  Couldn’t get a stable reading between those posts last time, the meter was bouncing all over.  Changed the batteries on the meter and still no luck.  I’ll relook at it this AM.  

On 11/7/2021 at 2:05 PM, siteunseen said:

I use the Crane PS20 for my ZX E12-80 distributor on my 240. I think it's 1.3??? It did not fit the bracket but a piece of rubber underneath out of sight worked great for a shim. Very happy since 2016 conversion of the newer distributor. Bigger gap for the plugs too.

Cliff,  I think I’m going to buy that PS20.   I can’t get a stable reading from my coil.  It bounces from 1.6 to .8 and the center terminal is very rusty even have trying to clean it was sand paper.   I don’t want to be chasing gremlins on start.  What is the charge in gap setting for the plugs?   Specs say it’s a 1.4 ohm primary resistance.  

E8ADF3DD-9E2E-4B7F-99A3-A2CDA89D9C8E.jpeg

Edited by Av8ferg