IGNORED

A/C trinary switch

Seppi72

My intention is to have the trinary switch on my Vintage Air system operate the main electric fan on the car's radiator ahead of the engine.  Thus, this fan, a 2450 CFM 14" standard fan from Perma-Cool, will be controlled in puller mode by both the A/C trinary switch as well as the main thermo switch on the engine block.

The other option is to mount a pusher fan ahead of the A/C condenser and have that controlled by the trinary switch.  But having two fans on the car seems unnecessary.

Has anyone else done a similar "double controller" set-up on their car?  Or, are there issues with my proposed set-up that I have not foreseen?

• 1 year later...

On 9/2/2021 at 1:23 PM, Seppi72 said:

My intention is to have the trinary switch on my Vintage Air system operate the main electric fan on the car's radiator ahead of the engine.  Thus, this fan, a 2450 CFM 14" standard fan from Perma-Cool, will be controlled in puller mode by both the A/C trinary switch as well as the main thermo switch on the engine block.

The other option is to mount a pusher fan ahead of the A/C condenser and have that controlled by the trinary switch.  But having two fans on the car seems unnecessary.

Has anyone else done a similar "double controller" set-up on their car?  Or, are there issues with my proposed set-up that I have not foreseen?

Did you ever go forward with this? I'm wondering much the same thing. 80's & early 90's Volvos that still used a fan clutch also had an electric pusher fan (on the condenser). Later cars all had the single eFan like all FWD cars. I'd rather have the large singe eFan in place of the fan clutch, but since that is a tricky thing in the shallow space, adding the condenser fan controlled by an AC trinary is what I am also considering.

I did mount the fan - in pusher mode - on the car but have not completed the rebuild to the point where I've actually used it.  I'll post a photo of the installation later today.

11 hours ago, Seppi72 said:

I've been trying to upload a photo of the installation but have been getting an "unknown server error" message that the operation cannot be completed.  Frustrating.

I've had the same issue for days now. I posted about it in the chat section, but now I can't even find my post 😞