IGNORED

Has anyone here used a gloss meter?

Roberts280Z

I became curious as to whether there was a way to objectively measure gloss, shine, etc.  I found some interesting terms, such as DOI (distinctiveness of image) and RIQ (reflected image quality), and nice instruments that can measure all of that for $4-5K.  I also see simple glossmeters on Amazon for $150-200.  I almost expected to find an Android app that used the front-facing camera to analyze the image reflected from a test-pattern display, but was disappointed.

Anyhow, has anybody used such tools?

I'm trying to paint my 280Z, and I have no paint experience.  I'm disappointed in the level of 'shine' that I'm getting after wet-sanding, buffing, polishing, as compared to the un-cut clear coat.  Shallow-angle reflections look OK, but head-on reflections (e.g. my face) - not so much.  I don't know if I can just keep on polishing, or will I just polish away all the clear coat with no further improvement.

This is my reflection in the upper part of the door - I tried to mask the glare of the light with my head - sort of gives me a halo!

image.png

This is a reflection off the fender top:

image.png

The reflection is not well-defined.

The paint job used acrylic basecoat 3-4 coats, and urethane clearcoat, again 3-4 coats.  The fender was painted 2-3 weeks ago, and the door earlier than that.  I wet-sanded from 1000 to 3000 grit.  I had to go fairly deep with the 1000 grit to get all the orange peel (I said I'm not experienced).  I then used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (and also some of the stuff in the picture), all with a rotary polisher.  I've tried isolated areas by hand as well.

These are the 2 polishing compounds I use, both are considered professional quality and I have had good success with them, a lot of the products that are offered at the big box stores are pretty watered down.  You might also want to have a look at this forum, https://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=96df9ee49358224206cc6444bd0b90b4

Some really knowledgeable guys, guys who actually make their living doing finishing.

IMG_0008.JPG

• Agree 1

I'm pretty sure I've studied that forum before.  You guys may recall helping me last March when I first stated the painting.  I mostly had problems with solvent pop.  I still do, but not as much.

Now, I think I've just been too timid with the polish.  The guys on youtube are done after 5-6 passes.  I tried several more passes and now I get this:

image.png

I don't know if I can make it better (I killed my HF polisher trying), or if that's as good as it gets.  I suppose I could sacrifice the clear on one of the hood side flaps to see how far I can go (after I get another polisher).

It's possible that so much polishing is required because I didn't do enough compounding.  I figured that my goal there was to make all the orange peel disappear, and stop there.

Thanks again guys.

I totally mistyped in an earlier post.  I don't compound for orange peel like I typed.  I rely on the 1000 grit for that, and then step through 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000.  But then I only compound once (5-6 passes), and move on to polish.  I should probably have done the compound a bit more before moving on to polish.

Going back to my original question - I thought it would be useful if I could use a glossmeter to show me the desired gloss from compounding, and then from polishing (given a reference point).