IGNORED

280z master fuse list?

chaseincats

Question for you guys, is there a master fuse list for the s30s?  I found the below image that lists which fuses cover which electrical aspects of the car but only for a 280zx (below image).

My voltmeter fuse blew while driving today which apparently shares that circuit with the hazard switch, so I was curious if there was a list like the below for a 1978 280z that would list where else I should look for the short.

79fusesfull.png

Edited by chaseincats
  • Like 1

Well, it's laid out in the wiring diagram with more detail in the BE section of the FSM.

For the fuse that is for the voltmeter, you also have

1. Brake Warning Lamp Check Relay
  2. Turn Signals (passing through the Hazard Switch)
  3. Seat Belt Warning Timer Unit
  4. Fuel Level Warning Lamp
  5. Backup Lamp Switch (Manual Transmission)
  6. Inhibitor Switch (Automatic Transmission)

6 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Well, it's laid out in the wiring diagram with more detail in the BE section of the FSM.

For the fuse that is for the voltmeter, you also have

1. Brake Warning Lamp Check Relay
  2. Turn Signals (passing through the Hazard Switch)
  3. Seat Belt Warning Timer Unit
  4. Fuel Level Warning Lamp
  5. Backup Lamp Switch (Manual Transmission)
  6. Inhibitor Switch (Automatic Transmission)

I was looking in BE but didn't see a list just a bunch of wiring diagrams to follow.

It's weird that the turn signals would be affected by this because while the hazard switch doesnt work due to the fuse, the turn signals do...

12 minutes ago, chaseincats said:

I was looking in BE but didn't see a list just a bunch of wiring diagrams to follow.

It's weird that the turn signals would be affected by this because while the hazard switch doesnt work due to the fuse, the turn signals do...

I didn't say there was a list. I said it is all laid out. The list I gave was from looking at the page in the BE section for the voltmeter and going back to the wiring diagram to identify all of the branch circuits.

The power for the hazard lights does not come off the same fuse as the voltmeter unless someone changed how your car is wired.

I took a look at the 78 wiring diagram, and the fuse that powers the voltmeter powers the following:

Hazard flasher
Steering lock switch (which then feeds the left hand door switch, which then feeds the door open warning chime)
Voltmeter needle

For 78, that's it. Just those three things.

So since I know that the top two fuses in the left hand column are for right hand and left hand headlights respectively, we have three of the fuses sussed out (for 77 and 78 at least) Someone else can take a couple fuses, and pretty soon, we'll have them all done!     LOL

• Haha 1

Yeah, it's always unnerving when a fuse blows. You put a new one in there and wonder how long it's going to be before it happens again.

So was the fuse that blew a new one? Or do you think it was from 78?  

The reason I ask is that if it was an old one from 78, I wouldn't' worry too much about it. In fact, I would replace all the fuses with new ones. Time probably hasn't been kind to them.

4 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yeah, it's always unnerving when a fuse blows. You put a new one in there and wonder how long it's going to be before it happens again.

So was the fuse that blew a new one? Or do you think it was from 78?  

The reason I ask is that if it was an old one from 78, I wouldn't' worry too much about it. In fact, I would replace all the fuses with new ones. Time probably hasn't been kind to them.

I replaced all the fuses probably back in 2017.  So while its not decades old, it has been cooking in there for a while.

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Well let's hope tit was an infant failure on one of the 2017 fuses and not a real issue. You'll find out at the most inopportune time.

Do you have the spare fuse holders populated in your fuse box?

I wasn't aware there were spare fuse holders.  I usually just kept fuses loose in my center console.