IGNORED

Defogger Grid Removal

Roberts280Z

I’m not sure what technology they would have used in the 70s but what I’ve read about is silk printing as well as acid etching the base material to the glass first to allow it to stick.

I would love to get mine rubbed off and new elements put in so watching with interest!

And then there is this very “rare” item default_laugh.png

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/54396-2000-rear-hatch-glass/

If silk printed then it should be easier to remove but again, I do wonder what ghosting effects are left behind.

Having said that, I was working at Deutsche Bank during the Occupy protests in London and the students protesting, took coins / sharp metal to the glass on the building, making big circle scratches. The next week, we had a glass firm come in and polish the glass, with absolutely ZERO evidence of the damage left afterwards!!

We were supposed to dress casually and go through the service entrance at the back. So I put on my student jumper of old and scruffy weekend DIY jeans. But the funniest bit was our bosses - have you ever seen a mega rich banker dressed down and casual? It was more a case of banker with a “W” - boy did they stick out a mile! :p

• Haha 2

For a similar project I used common household bleach to remove the chrome and copper that's adhered to the Z cars tail light bezel.  I'm thinking remove the hatch and use the dish of the rear window you hold as much bleach as it can. This process may take days to finish. The bleach reacts with the copper and causes it to lose its adhesion. The process emits some pretty nasty maybe even toxic fumes so be careful. Regardless I'll be following to see what your end results might be whatever you choose to do. My rear defroster has never worked either.

• Like 1