IGNORED

Orig. wheels vs orig. caps

halz

Every period magazine article I have seen shows pictures of 240 and 260Zs with the factory wheel caps in place. None of my period pictures show the factory allow '4 spoke' wheels that I always attributed to 260Zs.

So... were these wheels from a later model car? Were they an option on late 240s and 260s? Are they really 'standard' on any car?

(Sorry, I can't find a pic. You all know the wheels I mean: 4 spoke, bright alloy with black insert, Z in the centre cap....

Any ideas?

Yep, those are the ones. I recently heard that these were 'competition' wheels fitted to late model 240s and 260s. As mentioned, none of the early '70s photos I've seen show a 260z with these wheels... which is not conclusive proof either..

Halz

Not sure on that one, but I would guess no.

I remember reading somewhere that cars came from the factory with the standard mag type wheels that are referred to in the original post from 76 onwards for our market. Im not sure if they were an option prior to this.

I have picked up an original Australian spec 260z sales brochure recently and both of the cars featured in it are wearing the factory type mag wheels. The brochure is dated 76. I will be scanning this soon and posting it to the website.

One 260z that I know of that came from the dealership with its original stamped wheels and caps was a very early 74 car. I purchased the wheels and caps from the second owner of the car for my 240z.

I have also seen numerous re-printed roadtests conducted in Australia and the cars all seem to be fitted with the standard stamped wheels and caps. The road tests date from 74 and 75.

Joseph

Joseph

The mag wheels you are talking about where an option item like many other items for the 260Z, they come in silver or gold depending on the age of the zed. the most common delivery was on the fully optioned up 260z 2+2. I cant remember to many 2 seaters with them on. most of the aftermarket stuff was bigger so serious people soon ditched them (rim size correct offset 14x5.5).

As for steel wheels and trims

Dealers are the main culprits for muddying the waters on standard delivery fit as they would send a whole shipment of zeds into the shop and d*** them up with fresh mags and such to boost the base selling price. Capitol motors at Burwood to name one.

cheers

Steve :classic:

Are you sure the gold and sivler are in fact different types of mags? In all the sets I have had (only 3) there have been traces of the gold epoxy coating left on the back of the wheels, and the two spares are still almost totally covered in the yellow/gold coating, was it a clear laquer finish that aged badly? Or Were they in fact two different types of mag wheel?

Z Kid,

Two finishes, gold or silver on the same type of mag wheel. I think the earliest version had the silver type finish, the gold was then introduced along side it later. Yes the epoxy was sh**, a good steam clean could bring the wheels up looking patchy.

cheers

Steve:classic: