IGNORED

New booster, now sticky brakes

I am not sure what kind of booster you get from AZ. It does not sound like the correct unit. Perhaps the people that rebuild them are not that good?

I can easily remove the lock washer with a small pic. 

Then easily pull the push rod out. (Mine also had no reaction disc) I have never uploaded a movie here so excuse me if it does not work. 

I can not see the spring at all in the hole. I can feel it in there, but it is stationary and does not move around at all. 

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

Edited by Terrapin Z
Not sure about the Movie working text

I'll sell you this core in the pic's (it will need a reaction disc, I shook it but did not hear anything. I may have used it in my Booster I bought from MSA. (also had no disc) been a while now.

Then send it to these guys. ( I saw this on FB just now, but it is on OfferUp) They have good reviews. 

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1070491908/?_branch_match_id=857945268714343482

Or I am sure there are other reputable Datsun booster rebuilders. I would stay away from the chain car parts stores though. IMHO

• Like 1

According to the receipt it is a Cardone 53-5104. It doesn’t look remanufactured, but rather a newly made piece. I also noticed that the Rockauto piece is not listed as Cardone.

I would be interesting in knowing if anyone who has installed a Cardone booster in their car has experienced this problem, and if they have looked inside it to find that the activating rod is built like mine is, in my earlier pictures.

I can’t drive the car (too much snow!) but based on the little I can move it in the garage it feels the same. As soon as I can drive it out onto the driveway I am going to mess a little with adjustments. Maybe I’ll see a change that gives me some idea.

terrapin, I’ll buy your booster, if only to have a fall-back plan in case i can’t find an aftermarket booster that works.  DM or email me please.

Edited by Trimpe.bob@gmail.com

1 hour ago, Trimpe.bob@gmail.com said:

According to the receipt it is a Cardone 53-5104. It doesn’t look remanufactured, but rather a newly made piece. I also noticed that the Rockauto piece is not listed as Cardone.

Not sure what you're looking at.  This is for a 1973 240Z right?  I had to go look at some of your other posts, you never said in this one.  The Autozone part number you gave is there on Rockauto.  That's why this seems extra weird.  But it does show the smaller shape, which is what the AZ picture shows.

Funny to learn though that Duralast = Cardone, for these reman parts.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1973,240z,2.4l+l6,1209170,brake+&+wheel+hub,power+brake+booster,1884

image.png

• 1 month later...

Well, I can FINALLY update on this topic! I had the Datsun booster (thanks, terrapin) rebuilt by boostersteve in Oregon. Problem solved! Brakes are now behaving properly. 
My takeaways from this are:

. Cardone boosters are not a compatible swap into a 240Z (at least for 1973). don’t know why.

. Datsun boosters, even the crusty ones, can be saved.

cheers!

• Like 4