IGNORED

240z value ?

rosaaen89

Good afternoon everyone

not sure where to post this but i am just curious to what you guys think my 71 240z series 1 value would be? i see prices all over the place and contemplating selling it because we might be moving in the next 6 months or so and i don’t have a truck or trailer to haul it anywhere and i could use the money. original L24 4 speed runs and drives but i think the carbs need tuning or rebuilt as it sputters a bit. brakes need bled but the car was previously restored. minimal surface rust on the body, the car still looks fairly good at least to me. interior is in nice shape other then the common dash being cracked. Thank you guys for everything and i appreciate your help

0EA0350D-0A3A-4727-9865-2BAB2A8D638C.jpeg

07E173CB-D479-4567-83D0-7CEFC97AB120.jpeg

You should post more detailed photos of the car,  photos of the rockers and dog legs, engine bay, underside, etc.  Post the build date from the drivers door and the VIN. Also note that black is not a stock color for a '71.  May not be important to some but a collector would expect a stock color.

10 minutes ago, jwtaylor said:

You should post more detailed photos of the car,  photos of the rockers and dog legs, engine bay, underside, etc.  Post the build date from the drivers door and the VIN. Also note that black is not a stock color for a '71.  May not be important to some but a collector would expect a stock color.

when i get home i’ll throw some more pictures up as well. the build date is 1/71 i’ll get everything else as well

Check out some of the BAT listings to see what buyers want to see, and the way they want to see it.  Your pictures need work, it makes a difference.  Clean it up, make a driving video to show that everything works.  You might get over 15,000 if it shines up and runs well.  You're pretty far away so if you have shipping options available that will help.  Basically, make it easy for a buyer to decide to buy.

Here's one - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-162/

51 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Check out some of the BAT listings to see what buyers want to see, and the way they want to see it.  Your pictures need work, it makes a difference.  Clean it up, make a driving video to show that everything works.  You might get over 15,000 if it shines up and runs well.  You're pretty far away so if you have shipping options available that will help.  Basically, make it easy for a buyer to decide to buy.

Here's one - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-162/

yah i need to take some good photos of it i just don’t have a lift or anything to show underneath the best. idk if the majority of BAT vehicles are usually in great condition and are expected so kind of like the big name auction houses like Mecum. i got a quote from the beverly hills car club in california and they said 11,500 and would buy it right now. but i don’t know how legit that place is. i seen they are the ones selling the super beat up and rusted out datsun on ebay though. 

If the quote says "cash - full price, will pick up" it's probably worth hanging on to.  But if it has contingencies like "after arrival and inspection" I'd avoid them.   Some of these places will get people in to a bind so that they have to take a lower price.  Just be careful.

Since it runs and drives and you're in the middle of the country, coast-to-coast, it wouldn't be a surprise if somebody bought it and tried to drive it home.   Spring is coming and people have been cooped up.  You have good odds.

You could probably find a garage with a lift that will let you take some pictures while it's up.  The work you put in before you advertise it will make a difference.  That green Z in the BAT listing probably left a few thousand behind because they posted a dirty car.

all he said was he’d send cashiers check or wire transfer it and would do it today. it’s weird though first offered me $5500 and then i told him i have offers almost double and then told me $11,500. I think you’re right though i might get it cleaned up better and fix a few small issues with it. 

They are a legitimate company, but they’re just exercising typical business practices...buy as cheap as possible and sell for as much as possible...hence why their first offer was so low. You would get more if you just clean up what you can, take many pictures of the “important areas”, and be willing to handle several people wanting to buy the car. You shouldn’t have a problem getting more than $11,500, the Beverly Hills place would probably list it for at least double what they offered you.