Odd Bolt Holes On An L28 Block - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Odd Bolt Holes On An L28 Block

Featured Replies

I have this L28 engine, with SU carbs and a supposed Datsun Comp 5 speed. The guy I got it from said the engine was something special, I don’t recall the specific details as it was over 30 years ago, and he is long gone so I can’t call on him to fill me in. 
 

Anyway, I was looking it over the other day and noticed four threaded holes around the oil filter boss. Never seen anything like it before on an L series engine, I even looked at every L series block in my collection (16 or so), and none have this.

It is an L28, N42 block.

Can anyone give me a clue here?

Thanks in advance, Racer

 

 

0B8AA0DB-90E9-4430-87C5-2659BFC1450D.jpeg

5A9CE792-4388-4B04-8511-FE406CDC8C0C.jpeg

1982 shows them on the F54 block.  But 1978, which should be N42, is all wacked out.  Seems to show them though.

image.png

image.png

1976 seems to show them growing in.  Three!

Thanks for the puzzle.  That's weird.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

Here's my old 1976 N42 block.  Nada.

image.png

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
59 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

What the hell is this phallus looking thing on your block? LOL

Head bolt remnant.  That pile of rust was in there also.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.