IGNORED

Stainless Rear Plate Between Engine and Transmission

On 10/30/2020 at 6:31 AM, Captain Obvious said:

Any interest in having more of these made and offering for sale?

Since you have the file you could modify it to make starter plates, for use on engines that don't have a transmission.  I think that people have reported that the original plate is strong enough, bolted on alone, but bumping the thickness up might be good (edit - then you could thread the holes for the starter bolts instead of having to use a bolt and nut.).  I made one from 3/16" steel a while ago.  It was handy for spinning the engine on a Harbor Freight dolly, fogging for storage, checking oil flow, etc.  Otherwise you have to have a transmission to bolt the starter to.

Also I wonder about making it a two piece so that a person can have access to the inside of the bellhousing and front of the flywheel.  Checking seals, and clutch fork operation, ring gear quality, and stuff like that. 

Edited by Zed Head

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Also I wonder about making it a two piece so that a person can have access to the inside of the bellhousing and front of the flywheel.  Checking seals, and clutch fork operation, ring gear quality, and stuff like that. 

You won't get access to much more than the front of the flywheel.

10 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

A mirror, a bright light, and a gap is all that's needed.  Better than squeezing your eyeballs in to a spot to see through the fork boot hole.

There is only a small gap between the ring gear and the bell housing, not enough to get a mirror through, then the clutch cover behind that. The clutch fork opening gives more access, but is still not really useful.

The starter opening gives the best opportunity, two bolts, a nut and a plug. Pull it out and reach a small mirror in, have a look.

Edited by Racer X

I'd rather work through the cover.  It's just an idea, no need to spend so much effort shooting it down.

If you have one, take a picture and show how much room isn't there.  I'd think the only people who really know what it looks like are those who've forgotten to put the plate on.

If you have the parts, a picture will make the case.

Edited by Zed Head