IGNORED

Help identify part-1978 280Z 2+2

One Way

This piece was in the rear cargo area along with the easily identified parts and pieces that find their way into the cargo area of a car that had been sitting for quite some time.  The clean and paint parts process has been going on for some time now on the resurrection project.  This piece was painted the original body color and had some remnants of decals on it.  I was able to read "air filter", "oil" on the label as well as a corner of a Champion spark plug decal logo.  I cleaned the rusty portions and gave it a quick coat of rust primer.  Just trying to prep the part and put in the appropriate box for the parts and pieces that have been been completed and will be ready to install.  Thanks for all the help from the great group of Z people here, John-Lugoff, SC.

unknown part.JPG

Thanks for the quick response.  I never thought to look under there.  The hood vents are one of the small parts I have not yet gotten to.  Not sure what the best approach would be to refinish the louvers.  The black paint has peeled and blistered in many spots and the white plastic shows through.  Impossible to hand sand, not sure about media blasting-may damage the plastic.  Suggestions welcome, John-Lugoff, SC.

@One Way, I think I have a unicorn you might be interested in.  Back when I had my 280z it was missing the D/S hood vent drip pan so  when I was at our local Z clubs swapmeet I picked up a pan for my car.  When I got it home I could not figure out how to mount it, it wouldn't fit, it was then that I realized that some clever guy had made an identical pan for the passenger side. Here it is, it's very well done.

It is useless to me as I don't own that car anymore, it's all yours for the price of shipping.

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

• Like 3

I have one of the spot blasters purchased from TP TOOLS and it works great with the black oxide media on the odds and ends parts that need attention and other small areas on the car.  I would imagine some baking soda would be a much softer media to use on those louvers.  Thanks for all the helpful tips.  I may try my hand at fabricating the passenger side upgrade.  Hard to figure out why they never designed it that way from the start.  My sheet metal bending skills are getting better with this resurrection project.  I have gone from about a 2 to maybe a 6 on a scale of 1-10.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC.

• Like 1