IGNORED

Frame Rail Repair

Remixaflip

ZeddFindings (Kingston, Ontario, Canada) has been the traditional go-to supplier for Z frame rails.  Parts are well-constructed, credibly priced, and I've never heard anyone complain about fit.  Looks like your passenger-side rail is kinked...

www.datsunzparts.com 

ZeddFindings rails are very good. I have installed a set on my car. However, they do not incorporate the slight bow near the radiator and this did cause some small mods to be made.

See the pic of what area I'm talking about.

image.png

• Like 1

ZeddFindings rails are very good. I have installed a set on my car. However, they do not incorporate the slight bow near the radiator and this did cause some small mods to be made.
See the pic of what area I'm talking about.
image.thumb.png.750eae595e4b0f96d0cf867949553053.png

Much appreciated. Could you post a picture of the modification you had to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That slight bow controls the widthwise clearance for the radiator.  IIRC, this is definitely an issue requiring mods if you're fitting a 280Z rad, but I'm not sure that it's the case for the 240Z rad.  Perhaps someone else can confirm.

I recently received a pair of front frame rails from ZeddFindings. They measured slightly narrower than the originals by 2mm. The ZF rails are 61mm wide and originals on my 7/70 240Z measured 63mm and 58mm wide at the narrow part in the rad area. My rad measured 640mm wide at the bottom, in the area my frame rails measured 647mm inside. With ZF rails that would be 641mm., or only 1mm clearance for the rad. But in reality it will be tighter as there also formed clips on the lower rad support that may interfere. Here is a sketch and picture to help explain.

20201022_170658.jpg

20201022_165848.jpg

• Like 3

If you're planning to use on of the Champion radiators from MSA like this one you would have no trouble with the rail width up front. You would need to slightly file down the ears below the lower bolt holes used to mount an electric fan shroud on the engine side of the radiator, but it would be very minor.  The ear is just below the nut and bolt in the green square. you can see the gap between the radiator and the rail.Rad Space.jpg

On 10/22/2020 at 4:15 PM, Remixaflip said:

Much appreciated. Could you post a picture of the modification you had to make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't mod mine in the end because I switched to an aluminum radiator instead.

IMG_4257.thumb.JPG.fae3aed282e2b6ffed9a4

It seems to me that the challenge of modifying the front of the replacement rail is about 10% of the challenge of removing the old rail and installing a new one.  It depends on your goals for your car.  If preserving visible originality is important to you, then you'll need to do some work on the replacement rail before you weld it into the car.  Not that hard.  If you'd sooner install a non-stock rad than modify the rail, then your path forward is clear.

• Like 1