IGNORED

240z running rough

rosaaen89

I ran my dog around the block in between rain showers and thought about it.

In my experience if you can't get it to run with the fuel pump pulling from a small gas jug you might start looking at the ignition. Fuel you have and air you have. That leaves fire/spark. I bought a 240 that wouldn't run and it turned out to be a loose black wire on the oe distributor. I got rid of that thing and upgraded to a ZX one. Ran then, but that's when I figured out the gas tank was full of crud.

Anyway, something to think about. Don't get zeroed in on the tank. It could be a few other things and you've found the right place to get good solid information. 

13 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I ran my dog around the block in between rain showers and thought about it.

In my experience if you can't get it to run with the fuel pump pulling from a small gas jug you might start looking at the ignition. Fuel you have and air you have. That leaves fire/spark. I bought a 240 that wouldn't run and it turned out to be a loose black wire on the oe distributor. I got rid of that thing and upgraded to a ZX one. Ran then, but that's when I figured out the gas tank was full of crud.

Anyway, something to think about. Don't get zeroed in on the tank. It could be a few other things and you've found the right place to get good solid information. 

i did install a distributor cap with oem style ngk plug wires when i did the spark plugs. previously had taylor wires and distributor cap. but it has the flame thrower ignition so maybe i’ll change that back as well and see how it is after i get this put back in

Take pictures of that stuff and post them. You'll be amazed at what these guys see that can get overlooked by the owner.

Have you adjusted the valves yet? That helped mine because they were so far out of whack. You can do them cold without a running motor. Check the spark at the plug boots. Post pictures of your plugs. There's some folks on here that have 240s they bought new and still drive them regularly. And I promise you can't show too many photos. 

I'm just trying to facilitate your issues. The big guns have to be pulled out from under their beds. LOL

36 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Take pictures of that stuff and post them. You'll be amazed at what these guys see that can get overlooked by the owner.

Have you adjusted the valves yet? That helped mine because they were so far out of whack. You can do them cold without a running motor. Check the spark at the plug boots. Post pictures of your plugs. There's some folks on here that have 240s they bought new and still drive them regularly. And I promise you can't show too many photos. 

I'm just trying to facilitate your issues. The big guns have to be pulled out from under their beds. LOL

i haven’t adjusted the valves yet . i swapped plugs here’s a picture of them. front 3 were whitish tan, back three black

4B921216-0FDA-4CA5-B22B-9C3F37F0AC6A.jpeg

Where are the coils wires? Maybe they're tucked under? Looks like the air box is taped up in the front. What's the story on that? Your back 3 are missing spark or too much fuel for sure. If it'll crank and idle at all, do that and pull one plug wire at a time and see what it does. Just saw the tank photo. It looks good and clean.

Screenshot_20201010-193901_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Looks like "red coat" in the tank. Its coming out with the fuel. The acetone made it worse. The tank coating is coming out. Needs redoing properly.

Might not be the main problem but will need fixing now

is it red kote or rust? do i run with the muriatic acid then do the baking soda and acetone after ? i’m contemplating buying a new tank but they’re $600

AE4E0610-2C95-41B3-AB86-7101DAB54D0C.jpeg

EE4E3EEB-FBA5-4161-93BE-18BE70F019A5.jpeg