IGNORED

Fuel Injection PSA

Dave WM

Check those fuel lines. I am 100% sure everything was tight and leak free after installation. I started the engine up after a week long layoff and noticed a gassy smell, before leaving out on my drive I decided to check on it, pop the hood 6, that right 6 leaks, substantial leaks at the various fuel rail joints (1st gen fuel rail with lots of joints). In a couple minutes of idling prob dumped 3-4 oz of gas. tighten up the clamps (OE style not worm gear) and all good again.

the only guess I have is the hoses compressed over time (new hoses all about 2-3 years old). Fuel Injection rated hose bought from auto zone. Made in China no doubt, wonder if I had cheap hose or if this in normal (although I never had an issue with modern day, but then again modern day may use completely different plumbing and connectors.

Perhaps why Nissan changed the fuel rail to have one with fewer joints as well.

that's my public service announcement for the day, oh and make sure you always carry a fire extinguisher.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

I was thinking about this some more, and remembered I recently used this product

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/fuel-additive-and-cleaner/rislone-gas-fuel-treatment-16-9oz/429383_0_0?spps.s=4956&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:PER:71700000060528029&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6u2v9_jk6wIVIueGCh3-aA79EAQYAiABEgKjO_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I typically don't buy into snake oils but figured it would hurt. I added the correct amount a few weeks ago, two times (two tank fulls). Then today I have a fuel leak.

So IF you happen to use this product, please check for leaks after a few weeks have passed. I don't know if there is a cause/effect going on here, but its the only thing that was different over the past few years (other than just the passage of time). I use only ethanol free fuel as well.

Great PSA, Dave.  After sitting for a bit, my Z developed a fuel injection line leak.  Everything was previously tight, so, I’m a bit mystified by why one of the claps loosened.  Perhaps it’s the lines themselves, as I haven’t used any additives.

the additives was a long shot, but its the only variable other than time to work with.

Along the line of additives, after using them I have had what I think is a marked reduction in oil consumption. I am a 920 miles since last oil change (done about the same time as the fuel additive). I used 5qts of VR1 20-50, new oil filter Nissan, dip stick was about 1/8 above hatch marks after running it to fill the filter and letting the oil settle in the crankcase (over night). 920 miles later I would be pressed to tell if there is any notable drop in oil level. the oil looks and smells fine (no water or gas contamination). I have no explanation for the sudden improvement (it was about 1qt per 1200). I will continue to monitor and start a thread of this low rate of consumption continues. I did replace the valve stem seals but I check the oil consumption after that and found it to be about 1200 miles per quart, better than it was but not as good as it is now. From what I have researched the primary cause for loss of oil it the oil control rings on the bottom of the pistons. My understanding is they can become stuck or the holes in the piston ring grooves can become clogged. This leads to an inability for the rings to control oil which is subsequently burned in the combustion chamber.

My use of the additive was an attempt to clean up the build of carbon I noticed on the tops of the pistons. Perhaps the additive has aided in cleaning up the oil control rings as well?

I will report back when I get past 1200 miles.

Edited by Dave WM

I noticed that the high pressure EFI hose I bought from Oreilly also "creeped" over time.  The hose clamps were looser when I rechecked them after a while.  I think that it was the Gates hose with the flouropolymer liner.  Maybe it's supposed to be cranked down super tight.  I didn't use any additives.  Might just be the nature of today's hose.

The hose might be designed for spring clamps, the kind that maintain a certain force.  That type of clamp would "self-tighten" as the hose material takes a set.  Just a thought.

And barbs, instead of bubble flares.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/fuel-line-hose.html

Edited by Zed Head