IGNORED

Fusible link's insulation damaged by? Should I consider replacing with an ANL?

Jeff Berk

In trying to troubleshoot another electrical glitch, I noticed that one of my 2.0^2 mm fusible links had damaged insulation and the wire inside was corroded. Was this due to overheating? I had removed, cleaned, and coated the contacts last year. 

Should I consider replacing the fusible links with a pair of high amp fuses? If so, any suggestions on which model? There was a nice one on this forum a few years ago that would accept two fuses and had a volt and amp display for $30; but it's no longer available.

Or should I just purchase a replacement link?

Thanks

Jeff

fusible link damage.jpg

Edited by Jeff Berk
add photograph

I just realized as I was shopping around for a fusible link that 2.0^2 mm (gray) is much higher than what was originally in my 1974 260z (early production). According to theZstore, I should be using 1.25^2mm (black) and 0.5^2mm (green).

Edited by Jeff Berk

I run the 2fuse+voltage/amp setup in my Early 260Z, I've had no complaints about it so far.

If I was in your place I would try to get new fusible links (and maybe some spares). How does the alternator output wire look? I think the last time I blew a fuse, I also melted/broke off the ring connector on the white/red cable.. Need to fix that on my car still its been almost 2 years.

Edited by heyitsrama

IMHO there is nothing more important than upgrading the high current stuff in your Datsun, including those fusible links with some new items.

Nothing goes to hell faster and leaves you dead on the side of the road than a dirty connection flowing 30+ amps.

There are literally hundreds of MAXI, MIDI and other fuse options out there including breakers, which you never have to find a replacement for in a pinch. 

Blue Sea is one of my favorites, as most of their stuff is high grade SS intended for marine service. 

Little fuse/Bussman also have great high current breakers like this in amperage's from 50 to 200A. I swear they even one that has two breakers in one package....

image.png

I just posted this morning about a battery mounted fuse panel that might interest you as well.