IGNORED

1978 280 Z automatic tranny with no noid light blinking at injectors

OK Gang; I have power (with key on to the #1 pin of my ECU. I have a new engine with zero miles on it. It ran for about 4 minutes & then died, never to restart. I have fuel, spark, and have swapped out the Transistor box,coil,ECU,thermo time switch,pickup eye (in distributor), and checked the continuity of the negative side of the coil to the ECU. This shows a 5.9 voltage & the rest of the active terminals show a 3.89 Voltage.There is juice at both sides of the injectors. I still have no NOID light blinking, so now what???

Edited by kelley0352@att.net
clarification

21 minutes ago, kelley0352@att.net said:

checked the continuity of the negative side of the coil to the ECU. This shows a 5.9 voltage & the rest of the active terminals show a 3.89 Voltage.There is juice at both sides of the injectors. I still have no NOID light blinking, so now what???

It seems like you might have  a short in your ignition system.  With the key on, engine not running, you should see battery voltage at the coil.  There will be no current flowing.  It might be that your ignition module is bad.  Try using starting fluid to see if the engine will run.  If it does you have spark.

Did you mean 5.9 volts or 5.9 ohms?  

Aside from that, you'll still be better off to write down everything that about the car, like when it last ran right, and how long it's been sitting, and all of the measurements you've taken, making sure that they are correct.  Ohms, volts, etc.

Ohms, sorry. This car was running with a brand new engine, (both cars are new engines) 3-4  weeks ago. I put my red one on blocks & rebuilt the entire car in 18 months. Struts, brakes, motor, mounts, Cat, 3 row radiator, & installed Michelin Radials. Then I parked my running white Z and pulled the running motor out & had it rebuilt. Had it fired up & running 3 - 4 weeks ago. It started to bog down & died, never to restart to date.

Zed Head are you still there? OK Anyone got some advice 4 me? I was working on my red 280 Z {1978 5} speed when I touched a test light to the neg side of my coil, it knocked out my injector power so I guessed that the problem was in the ECU so I swapped it out. Will that fix the problem or did something else short out ?

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Did it start when you tried starting fluid?    no and I used gasoline & didn't even sputter or gough but it has great spark! so what is it if not the ECU ? I have Never seen an engine that has fuel & spark that wouldn't at least cough & sputter but I got nothing from it! so what shut down on me ? Now both of my Z cars have the same problem & it is not the ECU........

Another problem is the Red Z that I put the tester to & it killed the injectors. I swapped out the ecu because I thought it had damaged it somehow & reinstalled another ecu.

shouldn't that fix the problem?  or did that action short out something else somewhere else ?

. OK OK OK!!! I primed it with Gasoline & it did not even sputter but there is Great Spark @ the coil & at the plugs!

clarification

7 hours ago, kelley0352@att.net said:

I primed it with Gasoline & it did not even sputter but there is Great Spark @ the coil & at the plugs!

If you have great spark and you manually added fuel it should run. I find adding fuel can be hit or miss. Liquid fuel is not combustible. I have better success with Ether