IGNORED

Weber 42 DCOE 8

Are the jets stacks all the same then for 5 as for the other cylinders? I don't think the linkage can make #5 alone rich. It has to be something unique to #5. its jets, tubes, air bleed, cylinder rings, valves, throttle plate etc.

Another thing to consider is internal damage

If you crank the idle jets down too hard you open the idle orifice which makes it hard to adjust the carb. An O2 sensor would help but only if you can isolate it properly

• 3 months later...

Bit of an update. I figure the PO set up the carbs based on the picture below.

I added in a wideband and nailed down that the carbs were pig rich everywhere with a really lean acceleration.

I've leaned out idle jets, main jets, and idle mixture. The next step is to bump up acceleration, followed by narrowing the emulsion tube.

I also learned my engine is a recently rebuilt stock bottom end (l28) with a stock e88 (l24) head.

a2d00d91bd950615cb60b62c35a32d00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what I've landed on for my L28/e88 with DCOE 42:

Choke 32mm

2nd vent 3.5

Main 135

Emulsion F7

Air 165

Idle 55F13

Pump 40

1.5" air horns

Elevation 3,500'

I have no hesitations across all types of acceleration conditions. My most problematic condition (slow acceleration off idle jet) is now a "spike" in AFR to 15. Previously it was to +20.

My cruising idle is a bit rich (11 AFR) but compared to all the +/- I did it's the best of the tradeoffs across jet combinations.

The single biggest change was going to the F7 emulsion tube, which didn't show up in any Z tips. It came from Des Hammill as a "will work with most applications" statement.

I haven't put it on a dyno, nor do I plan to. I had a car that could barely get up hills and was terrible out of corners while daily driving. I know have a car that snaps whenever I accelerate, pulls all the way at WOT, and has AFRs between 11 and 15 the whole time.

Pretty happy as a first time Weber tuner.