IGNORED

Weber 42 DCOE 8

Hello,

I have triple 42 DCOE 8 on my stroker 3.0L L28.  Car starts easily and idles nicely.  The car is new to me so I can't really comment on the performance, but I can say a single cylinder seems to be running pig rich.  I'm firing black out the tailpipe and the #5 spark plug is black and wet.  Compression on the cylinders is decent (115psi-125psi) and my coolant was oil free on a recent change.  In other words, it isn't a new engine but it seems to be in decent shape.

A couple questions I'd appreciate input on:

1. Is there anything in particular to look for on servicing the carb for a single side possibly running rich?

2. What are peoples' experiences with 42 DCOE 8s on an L28?  These aren't a common carb so I'm not seeing as much information on them as compared to the 40 and 45 DCOE.

For the record, I've read Des Hammill's book and also have Haynes' manual as a reference. I'm also watching detailed videos like these.

Thank you in advance!

obvious guesses are that cylinder 5 unit is different from the others. have you taken the jet stacks out and compared them? is #5 idle screw the same as the others, and screwed out the same amount?

its still a dcoe, so I dont think its different from a 40 or 45 in how it works.

I've reset the idle screws and had a look inside. They carbs look pretty clean. 

I'm sorting out the fueling right now to make sure it is dialed. I'm also going to look at replacing the throttle linkage as it has some play. 

I don't want to fall into the trap of blaming carbs when it is everything but the carb. 

Edited by jitenshakun

22 hours ago, jonbill said:

I'd check the numbers on the jets and tubes first, that should be a 10 min job. swapping carbs around can be a fair bit of work, depending how the linkages are done.

Did you check the numbers?  Just curious.  You might fall in to the trap of thinking that the PO used all correct parts.

@jitenshakun