IGNORED

1/71 #18720 a.k.a. Sakura

73str86

I originally purchased this "Series 1" that I have named Sakura in an attempt to flip it. Plans changed quickly after I wrecked my 3rd owner 73 240z last year. So far I have owned this 1971 240z for a little over a year. I moved cross country at the end of last year so I have only really been working on her since the quarantine.                             

20200507_150619.jpg

20200304_182547.jpg

Edited by 73str86
Photo
  • Like 1

The car was mostly original upon purchase. Missing radio, but all other Series 1 parts are present minus steelies and hubcaps. Very solid rustwise. Solid floors, framerails, battery tray area, hatch area. Original color is 901 silver; the car has had one hasty black respray over original paint. I found some bondo in the front fenders; these will be replaced with OEM before paint work back to original color.

The worst part about the car: the PO riveted cheap fiberglass flares on uncut wheel wells (more on that later). My choice was to save the wheel wells and keep a mostly stock body.

The car was very well maintained mechanically over the years. Matching numbers L24/E31. All I know about the car is that I bought it from a flipper in Denver who never finished the respray. Daily driver quality. Accel coil, round top SUs, stock exhaust. Solid steering, decent brakes, weak clutch but good transmission. I have put about 600 miles on the car with no breakdowns.

New Champion 3-Row radiator, 123ignition bluetooth distributor, MSD 6AL Digital, 2005 Subaru WRX STI 3.90 LSD differential, Datsun Restomods bolt-on CV axles, Koni adjustable struts, Eibach lowering springs, the list goes on.

20200324_161735.jpg

20200324_161934.jpg

20200324_162446.jpg

The first part of the teardown was the front suspension. I will also be using Arizona Z Car steering knuckles and replacing as many parts as I can. All suspension and drivetrain components will be new or rebuilt.

20200329_164003.jpg