IGNORED

1971 240Z Driver Build Advice Requested PLEASE

HappyZ

22 minutes ago, wadelester said:

@ConVerTT matching numbers was a bad term...I should have said period correct or model correct or something like that.  The red car has a lot of rust...rusty floor pans, rockers, pillars, etc.  but it can be saved.  The white car is really solid.  You are correct, the white paint was done hastily.  I think I could save a lot of money on bodywork restoring the white one (if I’m correct about solid body).

I've been down this same road.  Bought three cars from an estate sale.  The "best" car turned out to be the "worst" car once they were naked LOL.  But I agree with you - if you can keep both, start stripping the white car to see what's there.  

I hope it all works out -keep us posted....

Rust can be hidden in these cars very easily.  I had a white car that had rust beginning to bubble through from the inside out due to it sitting outside uncovered for a period of time.  It would be difficult to tell for sure the condition of the body on the white one until it is blasted.  Replacing floor pans on the red one probably is not that difficult for a body shop.  If I were making a driver, I would chose the white one all day long and restore the red one.  Keep both of them.

BTW, I have a fairly low mile unmolested red '71 and I am restoring a white '70.  I took tons of pics when I tore down the '70 but I cant say enough how helpful it is to have an unmolested car 3 feet away to use as documentation.  Get the Whitey on the road and restore old Red. Just don't tell the wife how much stuff costs.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I sent the white one off to paint and engine swap.  I'm also swapping in a five-speed tranny.  It'll be a glass and engine out paint.  I'm going with silver (901) as was the original color.

I'm spending a bit more than I wanted to, so please don't tell my wife.

IMG_0463.jpeg

Edited by wadelester