IGNORED

Ignition/Door key question

Freez74

So the glove box uses the same key as the doors? If that's the case, then I would agree that it sounds like the ignition lock was replaced. Not unusual at all. The hatch though... Seems a little unusual for the hatch to be replaced before the doors are.

Maybe the hatch lock DOES use the same key as the doors and glove box. Maybe it's just all frozen corroded up inside.

Taking the hatch lock out is not complicated, and after it's out of the car, taking the hatch lock apart is not difficult. It's probably one of the easiest. I'd take it out, clean it up, and see what it looks like inside. Failing that, a locksmith would make short work of the problem.

P1010598.JPG

Thanks for the picture!  One thing I would like to know about the hatch lock, is it supposed to have a little trap door to cover the key slot?  Mine does not, it's just an open hole to stick the key in.  Maybe water has gotten in there and corroded the lock.  I sprayed some WD40 in it yesterday, but it still doesn't work.

Yes, it's supposed to have a little spring loaded door over the hole, but most of them have fallen apart over the years. The springs rust and it falls apart. If you're lucky, the door and pin is still there but has just fallen open (always open) so you can't see it. In other words, it's in there, but off to the side.

The little rusty nub is what's left of the door spring:
P1010630.JPG

If you really want to go DIY I used a kit like this to rekey all the doors and glove box to a clean ignition key. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Car-Keying-Kit-A-00-103-Datsun-Toyota-Subaru-Arrow-LUV-Opel-Wafer-Lock/223970367492?hash=item3425ac9804:g:8VQAAOSw6VlejJue

the doors are a pain in the butt because of how the cover is wrapped over the edge. 

edit i wrote a DIY some years ago,

https://www.specterbyte.com/lockcylinderrepair/

Edited by heyitsrama

I gently blew some compressed air into the hatch lock opening, and sure enough, I saw the little keyhole cover flopping around.  So it's there, but the spring is broken, as Captain said.

The rekey kit looks interesting, I had no idea those were available.  It does look like a chore to do those door locks.  If I cant get this hatch lock to work, I think I'll try to buy another one, since the cover is broken and would let water in.  I would have to get a hatch lock keyed to my door locks.  I'm kind of used to having to carry two keys for one car, because I also have old GM cars, and that was typical of them.  I would definitely not want three keys for one car!

Thanks guys.