IGNORED

280z rear brake drum paint

One Way

After debating with myself about a rear disc conversion and seeing all that needs to altered and my intended use of the Z car, the stock rear drum set up will be adequate.  What is the best solution for finishing the brake drums?  Mine are really in good condition on the inside-a quick run through the brake lathe will clean them up nicely- but the outsides are rather ugly.  A good cleaning and media blasting should make them look better but what is the best paint or finish?  Caliper paint, ceramic engine paint, high temp exhaust paint, or powder coating?  Any suggestions gladly welcomed.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC.

• 2 weeks later...

The 78 resurrection project continues to move forward.  I cleaned the drums, inside and out, using a 3M attachment on the drill and several different wire hand brushes and rotary wire brushes.  I took them to work -O'Reilly Auto Parts- on my day off from work and turned them on the brake lathe.  Followed up with a thorough cleaning, prime and top coat.  I decided to go with the aluminum color since the drums are aluminum anyway.  They look pretty good for 40 plus years old parts.  Two quick questions for the Z experts.  Both drums have the rubber inspection plug and just one has a metal button pressed in.  What is the purpose of that button?  What is the best way to keep the freshly turned drum surfaces from rusting since it will be a while before the brakes are actually put on.  I was thinking a thin coat of grease which would have to be thoroughly cleaned before assembly.  Thanks again.  Really enjoying the project despite being so slow.