IGNORED

Converting 1977 280z front bumper to 1973 240z front bumper.

JingK

Hi everyone! First time posting here so let me know if I’m doing it wrong.

I recently purchased what I believe are a set of bumpers from a 1973 240z (eBay listing was unsure) and and am wanting to mount them on my 1977 280z. Pictures included below to help identify.

I’ve looked pretty much everywhere and can’t seem to find much information (or any conversion brackets) on how to make the swap. Has anyone here had any experience with doing this?

Should I buy the 70-72 bumper conversion brackets and try to modify them or try to find the OEM brackets and modify those instead?

I know that, if successful, the 73 bumper with sit much closer than the 77 crash bumper but further than the earlier 240z euro bumper. It’s just on the wish list but I also read that you can get it a bit further back by cutting the rear mounting tabs and welding them a bit further up. Are there any other modifications that are needed to get the bumper to sit further back than originally intended?

Any and all information will be extremely helpful since I’m new to modding a classic Z car. Thanks in advanced!

621690f8949c4a427f844e8f7b0eff8c.jpg

e56fc01546dd5e593efd80640bc4b72f.jpg

17a1b5c4446dc4293afbffbe109d6e36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent JingK a PM, but would like to post some of it here for others that may want to try this at home....

No one makes brackets to convert a 280Z using a 73 bumper set. There probably wont be a lot of requests for this mod either.

The 73 bumper protudes further forward than the 70-72 bumpers so they can accommodate the shock demper for the 5mph impact requirements in the US. That makes it a less desirable bumper for the mod.

I started this adventure in 2015 to convert my 280Z. Back then there was only one bracket kit available, but it was IMO poorly designed that I decided to make my own. The back bracket was a simple bracket with a slot and one hole. The set with shipping, import duties and GST set me back €232.00default_facepalm - Copy.gif Things have changed since then and the brackets now available have improved considerably.Screenshot_20200329-120349.jpg

Screenshot_20200329-121524.jpg

I had the good fortune of lending a, all be it sadly abused looking, 71 bumper to take measurements and some kind members on this forum to give me measuremnts of there bumpers to compare. It is not an exact science. The variance between bumpers and between the 280Z's I measured was a lot more than I expected. I made the slots in the brackets to accommadate the variances I noted, but they will not have enough adjustment to bridge the gap for the 73 bumper.

I can fab a set of brackets that will fit, but I need info from JingK. Pending....