IGNORED

Source for the Cup washers on the SU Air cleaner Wing Bolts

On 4/2/2020 at 8:06 AM, Captain Obvious said:

Agreed. Looks great!

Next batch, get the hole centered.    :ph34r:   Back into my cave now.  Haha!

Most are well centered. Not as simple as it seems. May have to build a jig to hold them steady and clamped in the press die so I can do it on on the drill press to ensure no creep. 

Got my plumbing washers in yesterday in the mail, got the centers drilled out to 5/16 and glued into the washers. 

I think I have ~25 available now. I need about 12 to “Complete” the wing bolt sets I have, the rest are up for grabs.

90F91A37-3E2A-4A32-81A2-A156FEF7FA51.jpeg

Yes I cleanup the flash in the center.

I drill them out to 5/16, but they are still a bit small, so I heat a slightly larger bolt and heat melt to enlarge and smooth out up the insides. They are a nice snug fit on the wing bolts.

The washers are 11/16 OD with a 3/16 ID, so they have to drilled out. Can’t find 11/16 washers with a 5/16 hole.

Next I’m working on serviceable and in-expensive total wing bolt and hex base replacements. They will be functionally identical but not perfect replica’s Won’t be able to tell with just the wing and washer showing when installed.

Unless my wife says we need more masks....

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3

Sweet. Now you're the resident drawing expert. I love it when a plan comes together!

So what's up with the wing bolts and hex bass thingies? You got a pic? You can chuck hex up in the lathe easily... Just sayin'. And I can probably teach you how to cut metric threads. Probably. Old dog.

• Haha 1

If my plan comes together I won’t have to machine much of anything, let alone threads. I’m not aiming at a perfect or even a Really close forgery of the originals, just something that looks pretty close and functions properly, and that is cheap to create.

My hardest machining task is to make a pointy ended bolt out of a regular one for the wing bolt, and cutting the head off of bolts to supply threaded stock. Raw parts costs will be in the $5 dollar range. I’m not even planning on getting the hardware plated, although that’s always an option. 

I’ll keep the few sets of OEM hardware I have for the proper restorationists, the rest of us just want to keep our air cleaners on! 

You got collets for the lathe? You might be able to run the bolt through the collet (head inside the collet body and threaded end sticking out). If you can do that, you can set your compound on the lathe for the angle you want and cut your point easy-peasy.

You can do the same thing with a regular chuck (instead of collets), but collets are easier on threads because of the wide gripping surface. Chuck jaws have a tendency to dent the threads. They work, but it's easy to mess up the threads. However, if you've got an unthreaded shank on the bolt, it may allow a land to tighten down a 3 or 4-jaw.

I doubt I have pics of that kind of operation, but I'll take a look.

Proof of concept.  

08DD248D-7FAF-41D7-B483-55642AC25D47.jpeg

top is OEM, center is my forgery, bottom is the component parts that you start with. 

FCD83534-C5E6-4C22-9588-7A818B865947.jpeg

The wing nut is an M6 x 1.0 so I remove the hex head of a bolt, turn it down then run a die over it to thread. 

Today I will experiment with ways to permanently affix the wing nut to the bolt. Red Locktite, welding, silver soldering  are all options.

Sort of the same issue about the lower bolt that forms the threaded leg of hex coupler. It is threaded in 3 threads, then presently a thin nut is used to lock it in place. I would prefer to weld that in. I will likely TIG it on, then turn it smooth over the weld area. 

• Like 1

I initially bought M8 wing nuts, but they are quite a bit bigger than the M6 which are pretty much identical to the OEM wings (other than the silver zinc finish). 

I can these as an option however, as they would be much easier to tighten and loosen than the stock size wing nuts. 

2DD40C35-AE9C-4A1B-97B9-87C5FC578F1C.jpeg

I must be spending too much time with my Grand daughter and the Disney+ movies. All I see is

98DDCAFF-83E4-4A0A-8FF0-BCACE6BEE707.jpeg

9749DA68-D29D-430C-BCA5-AB807453EEFD.jpeg

• Like 1