IGNORED

#1 Cylinder

1976 280z, Automatic, 160,000 miles

A few days ago I was researching the forum for a problem that I was having with my latest purchase and started reading different stories about adjusting valves, firing order, etc. I read where the number one cylinder was the cylinder closest to the radiator and continued on to number six which is closest to the firewall.

The car I have now has number one at the firewall and number six at the radiator. I removed the valve cover and the distributor cap. When the  cylinder closest to the radiator is at top dead center, (the mark on the crank pulley at 0 and both lobes on the cam up) the rotor button on the distributor is at the number six plug wire. When the cylinder closest to the firewall is at top dead center, (the mark on the crank pulley at 0 and both lobes on the cam up) the rotor button is at the number one plug wire.

Not sure what the marks on the cam sprocket should be.

How do I to correct this?

Reset the drive quill for the distributor.  You'll have to drop the oil pump.  It's described in the Engine Mechanical chapter.  The cam sprocket location marks are shown also, but they are probably fine.  They don't have anything to do with what you're looking at with the plug wires.

Or just drive it that way until you need to get in to the engine for some other reason.

• Like 1