IGNORED

72 240 Z fuel pump rebuild kit

swflaz

I am looking for a rebuild kit for my 1972 Z car mechanical fuel pump. The original equipment model is a Kyosandenki. i am trying to keep the original unit and do not want to go to an electric pump. There are a number of replacement options but i want to rebuild this one. Have checked all the sources i can think of without success so far. Wondering if i'm on a fools errand. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. 20200120_162621.jpg

Thanks, JIm. That's a good site that I had missed. they didn't have a rebuild kit under the 240Z category so I checked the 1500, 1600 and 2000 parts.They have a kit that also works for Fairlady but only up to 1970. So, still looking. Many thanks for your post. 

10 minutes ago, swflaz said:

Thanks, JIm. That's a good site that I had missed. they didn't have a rebuild kit under the 240Z category so I checked the 1500, 1600 and 2000 parts.They have a kit that also works for Fairlady but only up to 1970. So, still looking. Many thanks for your post. 

That kit is listed under the 240Z parts.  I used the same kit to rebuild a 240Z 'Denki.

I also remember a post about using a certain Toyota pump that is still available through parts dealers, like RockAuto. Identical internals, just steal the diaphragm and valves and plunl them into yours. I ordered and used one once when that thread came up. At least 5 years ago I think. I wonder how far back my RockAuto order history goes....

Checking RockAuto for 72 240Z, there are a couple of pumps that look like stock ones, a GMB and a Delphi. I wonder if their diaphragms and valves are interchangable with the old stuff. For $43 CAD, might be worth a try.

360790B4-7822-41F0-92A4-F94CFC424BA0.png

I should cull through my old pumps, disassemble and get all the old diaphragms and valves out and see what looks usable still. 

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1

Thanks, zKars yeah I saw some GMB and Delphi items that might work as cannibalization options as well since i'm trying to keep my original unit. I my try that route if the new Datsun parts.com source doesn't work out.

Per a Carl Beck mention back in 2017 if you are replacing the whole pump the GMB 550-8040 is compatible with (and a Denki lookalike) the early Zs and runs about 30 to 35 bucks on ebay. in my case, i wanted to keep the unit and just replace the guts.

Edited by swflaz