IGNORED

Reviving and refining the 78 280 Z

zeenubee

Back again...as stated in my other posts, got the z running again...haven't had much time to evaluate further but need advice on some obvious issues:

1)  Correct FPR...have read much on site and it seem that the 78 should have an FPR with one outlet and not two as mine has...  Currently blocked of is the side toward the radiator.  Should I replace this?  are correct ones available?  is the "blocked off"  option dangerous?

2) Fusible links...mine are broken and covered with duct tape (PO).  Are these available...need bracket too?

3) High idle...Steps to check 1,2,3 etc

Zcardepot.com has the fuses and probably the right fpr. I bought one from rockauto.com a few years ago for my aluminum fuel rail that only needed one in and one out.

Google "280z high idle classiczcars.com" and you'll find lots of things to check like a vacuum leak first off. The accordion rubber boot off the afm to the throttle body is a likely suspect as they tend to crack after 40 years.

Ok.... found the fuse covers, haven't found bracket yet...@Zed Head...saw the thread on your fuel rail ...cool!....but probably above my pay grade.

Have you seen anything on how people restore the various metal parts like fuel rail  etc in engine bay?

Learning more and more...got the 280z up on a lift today and lots of good news (in my opinion)  All of the suspension seems to be as new...struts, control arms, bushings, stab bars...all were either replaced or redone...I will post some pics later.. bushings appear to be rubber as opposed to poly.....No signs of rust either.  Brakes as new with new lines, wheel cyl's and calipers.  Fresh brake fluid, fresh coolant...didn't power flush because of hoses and not wanting to push the radiator...Getting new tires next week...I had posted the wrong size previously....they are 225/50/15 on 15x7 Panasports..(don't know about offset)

Drove it about 60 mi and seems a bit noisy...don't have any idea to compare to.  Ran fine though the idle seems a bit high 1000-1100rpm.  Temp gauge seems ok as does oil press and ammeter...clock not so much ...went through the entire sequence as outlined in the EFI Bible.  with all values pretty much normal....was no pin on one or two...I don't have my notes with me sorry.

So I'm feeling encouraged about this old babe...obviously some more sorting to do:  New Belts (a/c car), exhaust hangers, all engines hoses and vac lines, cleaning engine bay.  I want to get the engine area as clean and neat as possible within reason...not a show car.  Needs carpet, sound deadner, seats rep'l etc.  Don't think I will tackle the dash (cracked as usual).

The sad part is my age and back are going to prevent me from using this car much

Thanks for the help...any suggestions, comments, ideas all appreciated!

• Like 1